Never mess with Betty Hill

I saw Betty in Crookes a few weeks ago, don't know if she lives up there now.I used to go in her shop on Sharrow Lane when I lived in that area in the 80's and never had any problems with her, she could be a bit grumpy at times particularly when she didn't know your face but I think she warmed to me after a while.I bought her a double whisky in the Cross Guns one Christmas which might have helped, she was quite partial to a drop of Scotch.

Edited by Stan Tamudo

shes not passed away at all saw her a couple of weeks ago, shes very frail though but she is alive

Correct, samp. I can confirm that she was certainly alive-and-kicking this very morning, at least.

She is not enjoying the best of health, definitely, but she is still going.

No wonder Betty was a grumpy person she must have never had sleep. She will have worked her fingers to the bone. Poor woman would even deliver the papers herself before opening her shop on sharrow. I can remember Betty in three shops over the years. She never gave up even through attempted robberys and other problems. I was surprised to actually see her take a break one Christmas night in the cross guns (early 1990s) I hope Betty reads this thread, i for one take my hat off to you:)

No wonder Betty was a grumpy person she must have never had sleep. She will have worked her fingers to the bone. Poor woman would even deliver the papers herself before opening her shop on sharrow. I can remember Betty in three shops over the years. She never gave up even through attempted robberys and other problems. I was surprised to actually see her take a break one Christmas night in the cross guns (early 1990s) I hope Betty reads this thread, i for one take my hat off to you:)

Agreed, no-one could ever accuse Mrs Hill of being a Shirker. "Bl**dy hard graft" was her middle name, back in the day.

To all concerned Betty is still very much Alive and Kickin, although she has in the last few years not been in full health after a bad infection around Xmas 2004, when we thought we had lost her.

I'm Bettys son in law, Married to her eldest daughter,

although I have only know Betty for 5 years, I find her quite a caricter,