The Hairdressers/Barbers megathread - Do not advertise in here

I went to the above barber shop and the barber whose name was Dave I think was the best barber iv ever had. does anyone know where he has moved to?

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

looking at your avatar pal, he did a thorough job an' all!:)

---------- Post added 05-02-2013 at 09:09 ----------

How is the hairdressing trade thesedays? Good? Holding up under pressure maybe?

My wife used to go to a salon on Ecclesall Road who are known for being...well, good but VERY expensive. She decided to find somewhere else after she was presented with a £140 bill for her last haircut there. She'd gone for a trim and a colour. They persuaded her to have 2 colours and charged her accordingly.

That was several months ago now. Since then she's been getting regular emails from them about special offers and the other week they even phoned up to see where she'd got to! Hairdresser truant officer next maybe?

One gets the impression that business is not good for them - and I'm not surprised. In these times of recession many people need to tighten their belts a bit and those who are charging premium prices face stiff competition. They need to be offering something exceptional to justify it.

That means the total experience needs to be first class, from lifting up a phone to book the appointment through to leaving the salon with job done.

Being kept waiting for 40 minutes when you've made an appointment, being passed on from pillar to post whilst you are in there, or being left unattended with hair dripping wet whilst your personal stylist is seeing to someone else, just isn't on. Being seated in a chair that is still covered in hair from the last person, or seeing the hairdressers scissors/brush/comb still full of the last persons hair isn't good.

If you're a salon owner looking at declining business in recent months, don't just blame the recession. But take a look around and make sure you've got some of these basics right as well. It really does make a difference.

Edited by DerbyTup

Hi, yes I can definitely recommend Emily's salon in Intake. Emily's mobile is 07881 722556 she is really excellent and does not cost a fortune. I pay £17. She has worked for years in town salons. This is her first salon, going it alone. She is really lovely and listens as well to what you want. I have been going for about 4 years now. Would not go anywhere else.