The Hairdressers/Barbers megathread - Do not advertise in here

Hey, so i've been to a few places around city centre to get my hair cut but every place i have been to they do the complete opposit of what i want. i am gay i don't want a typical dyke hairstyle but i dont want the <REMOVED> feminine cuts they give me either.

Does anyone know where i can get a decent haircut done? as im sick of hating my hairstyle!!!!

Please someone help!!! :)

Edited by nikki-red
masked swearing

Im new to this site so not too sure how to use it yet.

I have told them exactly what i want. i've even gone in with a picture of what i want an they still manage to not do it. everyone i have ever been to has tended to cut it how THEY want not what i want them to do and i'm just getting quite sick of it tbh.

Im new to this site so not too sure how to use it yet.

I have told them exactly what i want. i've even gone in with a picture of what i want an they still manage to not do it. everyone i have ever been to has tended to cut it how THEY want not what i want them to do and i'm just getting quite sick of it tbh.

Because they do not understand what "being professional" means. There are so many "creative" people here in this city, and there is an awful lot of "let me help you look better", than a "listen to what you want".

I recently had a hair cut at Kham's, and although she asked me what I did for a living and all that, so that gives her an idea of what I want, and need. Then she showed me these various photos, which is "way out there", and is inappropiate for my job? It is too young, and too unprofessional ?

I should not have argued with her, cos it ended in her cutting half a design, then listened to me so that she doesn't feel guilty but her cutting was super fast, and then we ended up in a disaster. Oh my God.

I now use kirby grips to hide my silly haircut.

I have paid for a London hairdresser before which my sister recommended, and it was very good. At 25 pounds only. Here, the only one I have found is "okay" and listens to you and do not push you down this "funky" route has been Wig and Warpaint. I think I went for a more senior stylist as well, and he definitely was keen to get the cut right so that I returned. I really emphasized I wanted a low maintenance cut for work. He did deliver it. His head was not up in the clouds and want his own name on my hair, so to speak.

If in doubt, then sometimes pay for a higher priced hairdresser to get the first cut right, and THEN go to a lower price cutter to get a trim so that they can stick with that style. If you do not, then you can't really trust them all that much and they have no base to reference back to. I wish I did not leave my for so long and it is now a disaster.

Also, never argue with the hairdresser especially when she has a pair of scissors in her hand. I walked out in tears. :(

My friends understand, cos they know that you represent a company and you look like a joke. I have caught young girls here in Sheffield staring at me and calling me "love" and smile as they stared at me. I feel so bad.

If you find a good one, then stick with her, and do not let her move away is all I can say !

(By the way, give Wig n Warpaint a try? But ask for the more senior person for the cut, and emphasize where you are with the look, which is too extreme and which is not. Then also ask for an opinion on the thickness and the definition of your hair to prompt them to think about this aspect. Then also ask them about the shape of your head and if they can achieve to that of a photo and if not, then why not. Ask them to explain to you why not. A top end dresser can tell you why he cannot do something and why it wouldn't work, and ask for suggestion which can fit much better.)

Edited by salsafan