Brookhouse farm, grenoside

I know the ruins at the top of Hill Top Lane off Topside. Up the track leading to it, the Angel football team used to play in an adjacent field to one with two massive shire horses in. If it's the farm you mean, I recall someone once telling me the farmer hung himself from the rafters in the barn. We used to go there and pick raspberries, apples and plums and at night would dare each other to walk through the ruins as it said to be haunted...ha ha.

In winter it was the starting point for an incredible non stop journey on a sledge from the very top of Grenoside to the dip next to Whitley Hall cricket club

I know the ruins at the top of Hill Top Lane off Topside. Up the track leading to it, the Angel football team used to play in an adjacent field to one with two massive shire horses in. If it's the farm you mean, I recall someone once telling me the farmer hung himself from the rafters in the barn. We used to go there and pick raspberries, apples and plums and at night would dare each other to walk through the ruins as it said to be haunted...ha ha.

In winter it was the starting point for an incredible non stop journey on a sledge from the very top of Grenoside to the dip next to Whitley Hall cricket club

I'm confused now. While researching my family tree I was led to believe that the ruins at the top of Hill Top Lane was Holly House where my grandfather was born.

I was up there taking photos a couple of years ago. I also have a mid c19 map. If either of you want a copy PM me.

I'm confused now. While researching my family tree I was led to believe that the ruins at the top of Hill Top Lane was Holly House where my grandfather was born.

I was up there taking photos a couple of years ago. I also have a mid c19 map. If either of you want a copy PM me.

I always knew it has Holly house, and local legend has it has being haunted. Not much of it left now, used to play up there as a child.:cool:

According to the 1855 Yorkshire OS map at old-maps.co.uk the ruins at the top of Hill Top Lane are definitely Holly House. These huge maps were free until very recently but now you have to buy them. I can't see Brookhouse Farm on the map I downloaded while they were free.

The suicide farmer isn't connected to my line. Maybe a local historian or the local history society can cast some light on this? And haunted to boot. Maybe a night visit is in order.

Does anyone have a pic of Holly House?

• 7 months later...

Me and my partner were walking around that area this afternoon and stubbled upon an old well it was simply just a hole in the ground covered by grass and brambles we almost lost the dog down it, it was that well hidden!! I would love to know more info on this area as its a beautiful place to sit and relax while looking over the city. My partner seems to think its an old bunker from war times or some ammunition dumps but Im sure I will never know as I have tried to find more info but always come to a dead end.

If anyone duz know anymore I would love to hear from you.

Mellowhead@msn.com

• 10 months later...

Archived