Gaumont Cinema Film Memories

Just remembering seeing some CLASSIC movies at this wonderful old picture palace after seeing a copy of that book on Sheffield cinemas, local publication. What a fantastic venue that was!!

I vividly remember Q'ing to see ALIEN in 1979....and what a total mind blowing epxerience that movie was on the HUGE screen they had. I think the last film I saw there was probably FOOTLOOSE in 1984 (but that may have bee at the ABC, not sure).

Other great movies experienced there were LOGANS RUN in 76, and a couple of the Bond movies in the late 70's I think.

Also remember seeing EDUCATING RITA there in 82, TOOTSIE and of course E.T. during Xmas 82.....the q's went right round past the YOrkshireman Arms pub!!!

Can never remember who had the BEST films...Gaumont or the ABC? Saw Towering Inferno, Jaws, etc but not sure which cinema....

And did the GAUMONT have PEARL AND DEAN or RANK screen advertising?

I remember standing outside the Gaumont exit door with my ear pressed against it listening to "Emile ford and the Checkmates" singing "Red sails in the sunset" don't know what year it was, but I know I was skint that night.

Originally posted by Lickszz

I saw Ghostbusters there and purchased the computer game for the C64 from there after the film.

I also saw Ghostbusters there too, when we queued outside the weather was cold, dull and overcast, but when we got out after the film it was thick with snow..... just looked liked the marsh mellow man had melted all olver Sheffield.

The GAUMONT was truly a BIG NIGHT OUT in those days. What a fantastic atmosphere when a real great movie was playing. Coming out and going home and seeing even a 26" screen TV was such a let down in comparison. In those days a TV looked rediculously tiny after seeing a 70ft wide screen or whatever the Gaumont had.

If you ever sat on the front row while a panavision movie was running, it was truly a real visual surround experience that filled every corner of the eyesight. Amazing.......I saw Empire STrikes Back in the front row and it knocked me out.

Have to squint to see the pathetic 12ft screens they have now at these horrid multiplex shoeboxes.

took my eldest daughter to see the turtles film 93/94ish she slept all the way through it,as she uses this board i know she'll read this..so stacey thanks for making look daft..as you were laid on my knee it looked like i was sat there watching it on my own

:blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

Archived