Red house pub solly street

Can't find him at the Red House but here are some directory entries:

White's 1901 Directory

FIDDLER Ambrose boot maker 16 Broad Lane

(Red House 168 Solly Street landlord John SMITH)

(Albert FIDLER is landlord of the Barrel, 69 Broad Lane)

White's 1905 Directory

FIDLER Ambrose Hy. boot repr 16 Broad Lane

(Albert FIDLER still at the Barrel)

(Red House landlord James RONKSLEY)

White's 1911 Directory

FIDLER Ambrose Hy. boot repairer 8 & 10 Broad Lane

(Albert FIDLER still at the Barrel)

(Red House landlord Joseph WILSON)

White's 1919/20 Directory

FIDLER Ambrose Henry vict The Crown 33 Scotland Street

(Red House - landlord Arthur FLETCHER)

Hugh

• 5 months later...

I used to go in the Redhouse when Linda Greatorex had it a few years ago before she retired. She was at the old Harlequin in the wicker now demolished. We had some fantastic nights in the Redhouse, i used to play and run music sessions in there and we had some amazing musicians turn up. Would be great to remember the good times in there with musicians and regulars alike.

• 1 year later...

I'm a regular at the 'new' redhouse, I thought i'd post on here just to leave mark so as I can show Judy, my significant other the thread. She is a regular of the pub going back to the eighties, and is always reminiscing about the good ole days..Its changed alot, after a refurb, unrecognisable but tastefully done in respect of its past.. I love the place. The history of it and the area around solly street fascinates me..Perhaps this thread could become a place where folks place nuggets of info /history, stories of past times etc..On Older couple in their 70's came in and told Jeff and Tracey, the new proprietors about when they had the pub, mustve been in the 70s or 80s. They told of when the back yard collapsed revealing a huge deep pit, perhaps an old mine shaft..indeed in the cellars there are the entrances to tunnels, or what might be tunnels..

I am researching other stories about the place which i'll post up here..

i heard someone wrote a newsletter on the red house and its history

could you find out where i could get a copy, be interested to find out exactly if grandad/gt grandad was there was there( grandad was born 1888)

believe it was the previous landlord

linda

• 5 years later...

My Grandparents Sarah and Joseph Willson, had the Red House, Solly St, Sheffield around 1911, my Grandfather was also a well known boxer, and originally came from Leicester, we have never known much about them as my Father, born in 1907 was orphaned aged 7, along with his 4 older sisters. If anyone knows any information about them it would be appreciated. Thank you.