Russia! - It's going to get naughty!

Russia wants Berezovsky - Britain wants Lugovoi. Seems like an obvious solution to me.

It is Britain doing the sabre rattling at the moment. Russia has never allowed its citizens to be extradited, Britain knew this. It's not that Russia is refusing to cooperate, it is just seen as domestic oratory - i.e. something Brown's cabinet can posture about and be seen to be tough.

The Berezovsky/Lugovoi exchange is clearly what the Russians are waiting for, why bluster like this?

Another lefite view that it ALWAYS has to be us in the wrong! F**k their extradition policy - we have a right to drag him over and bring him to justice if he's commited a crime on our patch!

Russia wants Berezovsky - Britain wants Lugovoi. Seems like an obvious solution to me.

It is Britain doing the sabre rattling at the moment. Russia has never allowed its citizens to be extradited, Britain knew this. It's not that Russia is refusing to cooperate, it is just seen as domestic oratory - i.e. something Brown's cabinet can posture about and be seen to be tough.

The Berezovsky/Lugovoi exchange is clearly what the Russians are waiting for, why bluster like this?

Phan absolutely spot on. Why on earth did we ask for Lugovoi to be extradited when we new that it was contrary to Russian law and would not be allowed. Political posturing at its worse.

Another lefite view that it ALWAYS has to be us in the wrong! F**k their extradition policy - we have a right to drag him over and bring him to justice if he's commited a crime on our patch!

Be careful you sound dangersously like George W "only our laws and our views count; the rest don't amount to a hill o' beans"

One of the mystifying things about this whole episode is how Berezovsky is being portrayed in the British media, i.e. as a legitimate businessman and decent enough cove threatened and harrassed by a malevolent and evil regime. In fact, when in Russia he had a notorious reputation for engaging in highly questionable business practices, including syphoning off funds from companies he had 'acquired', something Conrad Black has just been found guilty of (indeed, in comparison, Black is a paragon of corporate virtue).

As I have said before on this forum, the privatisation of state assets in Russia in the early 1990s probably amounted to the biggest theft of public property in world history - and Berezovsky undoubtedly had his nose in the trough. It also seems to be generally accepted in the British media that it is Putin and his entourage who want to bump Berezovsky off because of his criticism of the political regime in Russia. It is just as plausible (if not more so) that some of the many people adversely affected by his business activities would want to do him in.

Berezovsky is a seditious proponent and financial supporter of the overthrow of a democratically elected government and former close friend of Vladimir Putin, and current close friend of Neil Bush. Apparently he's so rich he lives in Chris Evans' old house.

Litvinenko, his former personal security officer, assigned to him by the Yeltsin Adminstration and FSB, was assassinated in London using a radioactive isotope that is the lynchpin in nuclear detonators.

Whoever has got it in for Berzovsky (a 'rogue' FSB faction, The Russian Adminstration, Russian "mafia" ex-colleagues) they have access to some pretty exotic and telling materials.

Be careful you sound dangersously like George W "only our laws and our views count; the rest don't amount to a hill o' beans"

To the contrary we seem to put everyone elses interests before ours - we're racist or thick or far right wing dictators if we don't!! God help us!

Archived