What does "SHEFFIELD" need?

phat_house

This isn't about money or popularity. I think you're missing the point I'm driving at.

I'll argue the toss later. have to go out now!

I know the point you are making.

But you are not getting my point.

The nights that you have stated do not make Sheffield. And if you are to think that it does, then why is it there are hundreds of people from Sheffield decending to Leeds and Manchester religiously every saturday night and saying Sheffield is ****e. You know that is a fact!!! Not many people talk about Sheffield as being a clubbing capital as it was once before.

why is it there are hundreds of people from Sheffield decending to Leeds and Manchester religiously every saturday night and saying Sheffield is ****e. You know that is a fact!!! Not many people talk about Sheffield as being a clubbing capital as it was once before.

I agree with that mate, but it doesn't make it a reason to diss what we've got. As long as we enjoy it I couldn't care less :)

I just think the best thing about Sheffield is the fact that it HAS got such cool little nights going on. I'm just the sorta guy that would rather have a basement, a dj and a red light over lazers and mixmag photographers.

I'm not disagreeing about the nights you mention, simply saying there's more to Sheff than that and it diserves the credit for it.

You know fine well what my point is, doesn't matter what the subject, 'popular' isn't always 'good' - The Sun, Lambrini, Judge Jules, Big Brother, P-Diddy...

yawn.

If Sheffield just relied on the nights you listed then we'd be screwed. One trick ponies, if you will (as in, the more the merrier and it ain't all about the biggest).

Obviously you do not know much about Sheffields clubbing history.

When did i say popular was good. The nights that I have listed were all good cool and credible nights. Just because you werent around does not mean it was not good.

And the big three nights all had different music in separate rooms.

I have already contributed 20 years and counting to massive nights and small underground nights. Not sure where you get the one trip ponies, wish you would stick to the subject. Your nights in question are good but they do not make Sheffield

UNDERSTAND

Also speak English as I have,

yuh get mi sound so neanderthal.

I agree with that mate, but it doesn't make it a reason to diss what we've got. As long as we enjoy it I couldn't care less :)

I just think the best thing about Sheffield is the fact that it HAS got such cool little nights going on. I'm just the sorta guy that would rather have a basement, a dj and a red light over lazers and mixmag photographers.

I'm not disagreeing about the nights you mention, simply saying there's more to Sheff than that and it diserves the credit for it.

Hurray, common ground here!!! as my first statement was Agree to disagree...

I have not dissed any night in Sheffield, I have merely stated they were good but dont make Sheffield. They have not got the legendary status yet, only time will tell.

As often happens both Chris and 4321 are correct.

Sheffield historically has had a mixture of really popular and really underground nights that makes it work. All of the nights make sheffield what it is. sadly right now Vibe is the biggest thing nationally that sheffield has to offer.

Occasionally one of the small nights makes it big on its reputation, Jive Turkey being probably the best example.

I know the point you are making.

But you are not getting my point.

The nights that you have stated do not make Sheffield. And if you are to think that it does, then why is it there are hundreds of people from Sheffield decending to Leeds and Manchester religiously every saturday night and saying Sheffield is ****e. You know that is a fact!!! Not many people talk about Sheffield as being a clubbing capital as it was once before.

I'm not interested in whether Sheffield is seen as a "clubbing capital" or not, all that means is loads of people flock to nights that are popular.

You seem to be judge a nights' success on how many punters crawl through the door. Whether a night is popular has very little to do with how good or influential it is. More people go to generic indie and "chart classics" events than Gatecrasher, Bed, Jive Turkey, Love 2 Be and Hacienda combined. Does that make them better?

40 people attended the Free Trade Hall in 1976 for the famous Sex Pistols gig. I'm not saying the nights I've mentioned are that important, but surely you see my point?

Well I am interested in Sheffield being the clubbing capitol as it once was back in the day. It brings kudos, money and most of all respect in the music industry and to this city. I am sick of being behind Leeds, Manchester, Bristol, Newcastle.

You miss the point completely because the nights that I talk about in question were not commercial nights but the top nights in there genre of music. I have never stated the obvious leisure company crap chart music as you have often made references to.

Can you please tell me an indie night that brings in over 5000 people weekly. I know Syndicate in Blackpool draws in up to nearly 4000 people but to say a chart classics night draws in more than all these nights combined is very absurd. You obviously do not know that each night in there hey day were bringing in religiously over 1500 to 2000 people weekly. (Jive Turkey was monthly)

Not sure why the Sex Pistols gig flopped and what relevance to this debate. I am merely stating the nights such as you have mentioned are very good but not legendary enough to make Sheffield

I think you personally love the Rhianna track cos I am struggling to know why you brought it up. However I do remember a time back in the 80's when R&B / soul tracks were not played in many Sheffield clubs (Cairo Jax aside) as it was then the underground. How things have changed since then. It would have been interesting to know if you was clubbing back in the mid 80s what club you would have been going to. As there was no Scuba or C90 for you to go to. Cairo Jax did play Colonel Abraham "Trapped"

Classic garage house track all the same, oops it got popular and commercial so should we discard it and call it crap. Think not!!!

Well I am interested in Sheffield being the clubbing capitol as it once was back in the day. It brings kudos, money and most of all respect in the music industry and to this city. I am sick of being behind Leeds, Manchester, Bristol, Newcastle.

You miss the point completely because the nights that I talk about in question were not commercial nights but the top nights in there genre of music. I have never stated the obvious leisure company crap chart music as you have often made references to.

Can you please tell me an indie night that brings in over 5000 people weekly. I know Syndicate in Blackpool draws in up to nearly 4000 people but to say a chart classics night draws in more than all these nights combined is very absurd. You obviously do not know that each night in there hey day were bringing in religiously over 1500 to 2000 people weekly. (Jive Turkey was monthly)

Not sure why the Sex Pistols gig flopped and what relevance to this debate. I am merely stating the nights such as you have mentioned are very good but not legendary enough to make Sheffield

I think you personally love the Rhianna track cos I am struggling to know why you brought it up. However I do remember a time back in the 80's when R&B / soul tracks were not played in many Sheffield clubs (Cairo Jax aside) as it was then the underground. How things have changed since then. It would have been interesting to know if you was clubbing back in the mid 80s what club you would have been going to. As there was no Scuba or C90 for you to go to. Cairo Jax did play Colonel Abraham "Trapped"

Classic garage house track all the same, oops it got popular and commercial so should we discard it and call it crap. Think not!!!

Clubs don't have to 'make Sheffield legendary' to be a worthy addition to the scene though mate. If we take things as they stand now, UG is probably the current version of the clubs you list (big rep, big acts, top quality night etc), but it doesn't define Sheffield nightlife in 2007. We are bigger and better than one club, as good as that club is - it's the sum of all the parts that counts :)

Archived