What does "SHEFFIELD" need?

phat_house

Well I am interested in Sheffield being the clubbing capitol as it once was back in the day. It brings kudos, money and most of all respect in the music industry and to this city. I am sick of being behind Leeds, Manchester, Bristol, Newcastle.

I don't really know a great deal about what goes on in Newcastle, but I'd put Bristol way behind Sheffield. Manchester and Leeds have similar nights to Sheffield, just more of them. Granted, they have some good venues that I'd love to see here.

That said, there are very few events that interest me in Leeds, and the only thing I ever go to Manchester for is the very, very special Sequence.

My main problem though is that there are some good venues in Sheffield, but they aren't being used particularly well. The Hacienda put on a broad range of events and some impressive (and brave) line-ups. There isn't really a club here that you could call legendary. I don't think anyone could say Gatecrasher/Republic fell into that bracket either.

You miss the point completely because the nights that I talk about in question were not commercial nights but the top nights in there genre of music. I have never stated the obvious leisure company crap chart music as you have often made references to.

But you keep bringing up the importance of money for promotors. It isn't difficult to see why most clubs put on these kind of nights. The Hacienda never made any money, expensive dj's and punters who spend more on e than beer. Student cheese and indie nights are extremely profitable: Cheaper dj's and larger alcohol sales than at the events we've been talking about.

Can you please tell me an indie night that brings in over 5000 people weekly. I know Syndicate in Blackpool draws in up to nearly 4000 people but to say a chart classics night draws in more than all these nights combined is very absurd. You obviously do not know that each night in there hey day were bringing in religiously over 1500 to 2000 people weekly. (Jive Turkey was monthly)

If you read my post properly you would have noticed I didn't refer to one specific indie or chart club night. I was talking about the industry in general. So no, it isn't absurd.

Not sure why the Sex Pistols gig flopped and what relevance to this debate.

You can't see the relevance it has to this debate?

I think you personally love the Rhianna track cos I am struggling to know why you brought it up.

I didn't bring it up, and I don't like the track.

• 2 weeks later...

This is what sheffield needs!! And some shameless promotion!!

The Cargo crew will be in Leeds next Saturday ripping out some tunes alongside probably some of the hottest nights in the country at the moment, Technique, Mono_Cult and TW_TS. The madness starts at 2pm, yes that 2 in the afternoon until midnight, then will carry on until sometime Sunday afternoon.

This event is by invite only so if you want to go get in touch, you cant just turn up either cos both venues are top secret!! For your FREE invite and to find out where the parties will be taking place text WINNER to 64446

Oh and remember to vote for Cargo in the Sheffield Bar and club awards

http://www.sheffieldbarawards.co.uk/vote/vote.htm

This is what sheffield needs!! And some shameless promotion!!

The Cargo crew will be in Leeds next Saturday ripping out some tunes alongside probably some of the hottest nights in the country at the moment, Technique, Mono_Cult and TW_TS. The madness starts at 2pm, yes that 2 in the afternoon until midnight, then will carry on until sometime Sunday afternoon.

This event is by invite only so if you want to go get in touch, you cant just turn up either cos both venues are top secret!! For your FREE invite and to find out where the parties will be taking place text WINNER to 64446

Oh and remember to vote for Cargo in the Sheffield Bar and club awards

http://www.sheffieldbarawards.co.uk/vote/vote.htm

LOL - What does Sheffield need? A night out in Leeds! ha ha, class guys.

And herein lies the problem. People don't put parties on for partying's sake anymore. They're either put on by promoters as their sole source of earnings or DJ's who want to make it big and ***** off to Ibiza every summer.

Sheffield needs underground parties where people can turn up, listen to some great music and have a good time without having to spend £12 getting in because people won't pay it anymore. These are the sort of events that make a 'scene'.

From an outside perspective I'd say there are too many people trying to do too many things in Sheffield at the moment and no one seems to have got it quite right. The Plug have cornered the superstar DJ market and I don't think anyone can compete with them on that score at the moment. UG has it's own niche an will always attract a good crowd. Then there are all the other nights at the smaller clubs/bars all trying to do the same thing. There also seems to be a crowd of people who put parties on just for them and their group of mates. This is blatantly obvious in the way some events are promoted on here.

I would be more than happy to promote an event where the success was not measured by how much door money I was taking home in my back pocket, but rather by how many people walked away thinking 'what a party'.

LOL - What does Sheffield need? A night out in Leeds! ha ha, class guys.

Ha ha, ey up mate. I wasn’t saying Sheffield needs a night out in Leeds, I was sort of saying this is what Sheffield needs. Whether it would work or anyone would turn up is another thing, as a promoter and knowing Sheffield probably not.

Were really lucky to be involved in party next week, its just a shame we have to travel up the road for it to be appreciated.

Ha ha, ey up mate. I wasn’t saying Sheffield needs a night out in Leeds, I was sort of saying this is what Sheffield needs. Whether it would work or anyone would turn up is another thing, as a promoter and knowing Sheffield probably not.

Were really lucky to be involved in party next week, its just a shame we have to travel up the road for it to be appreciated.

I was only messing but I agree entirely with the sentiment buddy. There's been nothing in Sheff that's got me REALLY excited since Justin Long at DQ. And speaking of Leeds - you lot off to see Adam Beyer then?

Sheffield needs the Sequence/Computer Controlled lot to come over from Manchester. Please.

Just been looking at past headliners: Black Dog, Luke Vibert, DMX Krew, Ceephax Acid Crew, Surgeon, Ben Simms, Rob Hall, Clark, Billy Nasty, LFO, Autechre, Clark, Boxcutter, Vector Lovers, A Guy Called Gerald, Cylob, B12, Neil Landstrumm, Vex'd....

I was only messing but I agree entirely with the sentiment buddy. There's been nothing in Sheff that's got me REALLY excited since Justin Long at DQ. And speaking of Leeds - you lot off to see Adam Beyer then?

Ha ha I know you was mate. Keep your ear to the ground in the next month or so though as we have something lined up I think will excite you.

A quarter of team cargo will be at Adam Beyer tonight in the form of The Johnson, we were all supposed to be going but we’re there all next weekend too.

Archived