What does "SHEFFIELD" need?

phat_house

Okay then, but I don't see a mention of £23 anywhere. In fact, I've only ever paid more than £20 into Basics on one occasion, and that was NYE 99/00.

November

4th Nov - Cocoon Night with

Mainroom - James Holden , James Holroyd , Ralph Lawson

Bedroom - Tristan Da Cunha , Despo and friends

11th Nov

Mainroom - DJ T , Jo Mills , Buckley

Bedroom - Simon Mu , James Barnsley

18th Nov

Mainroom - Rob Mello , Burnski , James Holroyd

Bedroom - Craig Christon , Lee Wright

25th Nov - Basics 15th Birthday - Love You Long Time with Andrew Weatherall , 20/20 Soundsystem Live , The Glass , Bez , Ralph Lawson , Paul Woolford , James Holroyd , Tristan Da Cunha , Buckley and Dave Beer.

Tickets £17 from Jumbo Records , Chimp Clothing and by Credit Card from Crash Records 01132436743 / http://www.crashrecords.co.uk

10pm-7am

£12/£10 NUS

* indicates increase in door price

Sorry, I thought you were implying Basics were ripping people off as you were charging less for the same DJ. My apologies.

No not at all. £20 or so is a sensible price to charge for a line up of that quality.

Realistically Hustle should have been charging £7/£10 for some of the line ups we've had on but Sheffield people just wont pay it. Hence its a fiver to get in on the 10th!

As far back as I remember the person who first brought Levan to the turntables in Sheffield was Pete Girtley who now lives in London. Larry Levan , Leroy Burgess , Kenny Burke , Mtume , Musiq (soulchild) , Tashan ,Roy Ayers , Shabazz ,Mass Production, Sunburst Band, Patrice Rushen , Brand New Heavies ,Maxwell, etc.will be getting played every Friday and Saturday nites at( LISTED) , A brand new bar opening on West st. Also the big club classics ,Soul II Soul ,Jocelyn Brown ,Mary J Blige, Tom Brown ,R Kelly , Luther Vandross , George Benson, India , Frankie Knuckles etc , open this Saturday nite 28.7.07. BASICALLY IF YOU LIKE GOOD SOUL MUSIC get yourselves down to LISTED on West ST.

• 3 weeks later...

The next thing to over come is price. Its a nightmare to get Sheffield people to spend on admission...which directly pays for a Dennis Ferrer or a Steve Angello. So why would a promoter bother forking out £3k for DJs of this calibre...

If these DJ's are so good and have faith in their fans and promoters then why do they charge £3k for 2 hours? Surely they should ask for a percentage of ticket sales/door plus expenses. £3k is a ridiculous price and its no wonder the likes of 'Bed' and 'Rise' took a nose dive.

I've happily paid £10 to see Mr Scruff at Plug because of his 'calibre'... Also recently been to see pendulum at Sankeys in Manchester (£15) and down to London to see Evil Nine, Crafty Cutts and Scratch Perverts at Fabric in London (£15), happily paying the travel and entrance because, imho, the DJ's are awsome.

Onto Sheffield, UG was/is a great night, but hey... what the heck taking it out of civiville and sticking it in studentland - nowt against students but they leave and the nights stop til they come back.

Its supply and demand, if people want to hang out with coked up, paranoid wanna-be-ganstas (who aspire to the britcrime, robert deniro, alpha dog fiction) and get attitude from the drones of clones buzzing around whilst listening to cheesey pop then give them what they want :)

Peace

If these DJ's are so good and have faith in their fans and promoters then why do they charge £3k for 2 hours? Surely they should ask for a percentage of ticket sales/door plus expenses. £3k is a ridiculous price and its no wonder the likes of 'Bed' and 'Rise' took a nose dive.

I've happily paid £10 to see Mr Scruff at Plug because of his 'calibre'... Also recently been to see pendulum at Sankeys in Manchester (£15) and down to London to see Evil Nine, Crafty Cutts and Scratch Perverts at Fabric in London (£15), happily paying the travel and entrance because, imho, the DJ's are awsome

Most I suspect are encouraged by their manager/agent that they are worth every penny and more....but then same person will receive 10% or more of that fee.

Its good to see that you are prepared to spend money on quality entertainment . Have you got a couple hundred friends that are of the same attitude toward having a ggod time....If you have bring them down to Hustle tonight...lol

Cheers

For me, it's nights like C90, Headcharge and Razor Stiletto that make Sheffield. They are the kind of nights where I would go even without knowing who was playing.

Agree to disagree here mate. Unfortunately none of these nights are nationally or internationally known. To say they make Sheffield is nonsense. However massive local nights.

Headcharge has shown longevity and is very popular.

Razor Stilleto musically sucks but has an appealing image that makes it successful. (my opinion)

Love2be (in its hey day back in the mid 90's), Rise, Jive Turkey and Gatecrasher are the only nights that have really put Sheffield on the map

Archived