"Roger And Out" at the Frog & Parrot

Hi.

A measure of the success was the fact that there was almost no trouble, despite the strong beers.

My customers appreciated the beers and the yobs stayed away.

Even when there were as many as 200 customers drinking outside, a practice that has now been stopped, as a result of a few unruly patrons elsewhere, we never had major problems.

Maybe it is now a sign of the times that drink fuelled trouble is here, and here to stay.

I would like to thank all PAST CUSTOMERS of the Frog for their support during my time there.

By the way, Toni, the Parrot is alive and well in a pupose buile aviary in my garden

Once again, thanks to you all.

Roger

Your pub always had a convivial atmosphere; never a hint of any trouble.

But I'm talking 20 years ago here and there's certainly been a change in people's attitude to going out and 'drinking' and there was hardly any trouble in town back then, certainly not like there is today.

In those days there was respect and a glance or word from a landlord or manager was often enough (and you knew who was in charge).

I will say , that when I worked at the Frog, it's true what Roger says, there was never any trouble, and there was a healthy mix of customers, from businessmen finshing work, to students.

Even when there was a pyjama jump, we just used plastic glasses just in case of them being dropped,you just got silliness, not trouble.

I think even the pyjama jump has been stopped now.

I will say , that when I worked at the Frog, it's true what Roger says, there was never any trouble, and there was a healthy mix of customers, from businessmen finshing work, to students.

Even when there was a pyjama jump, we just used plastic glasses just in case of them being dropped,you just got silliness, not trouble.

I think even the pyjama jump has been stopped now.

Indeed as you say we used plasic glasses for the sake of safety.

Do you remember we also used to remove all the loose furniture, to prevent students climbing on top of tables etc., and we put 3 inches of sawdust on the floor to soak up the spilled beer.

As you probably know, The Frog was a Whitbread pub and on one occasion during the afternoon, prior to the evening Pyjama Jump, the Whitbread Area Manager, Simon Haig, called and asked why we were taking the furniture out.

I asked him to come down in the evening to see why.

He did, couldn't get in the door for queueing students, so we let him through the Private Flat entrance and he came in, had one drink and said "well done" and left.

You probably recall, when the Frog was full, we closed both doors and I manned the bottom door allowing in more students as the crowds thinned and my friend Caz ( Derek Castleton) allowed people out through the top door.

There was never any problems the Students queued respectfully and waited to get in, NO VIOLENCE.

After we had closed we all had a drink together and left. Our cleaner, Janet Barker, then started to scrub all the floors with the electric scrubber and recoated the floors with a couple of coats of liquid polish.

Next morning we put all the furniture back in place and no one would have guessed the amount of patying the night before.

Once again the Staff did a superb job.

Thanks

Indeed as you say we used plasic glasses for the sake of safety.

Do you remember we also used to remove all the loose furniture, to prevent students climbing on top of tables etc., and we put 3 inches of sawdust on the floor to soak up the spilled beer.

As you probably know, The Frog was a Whitbread pub and on one occasion during the afternoon, prior to the evening Pyjama Jump, the Whitbread Area Manager, Simon Haig, called and asked why we were taking the furniture out.

I asked him to come down in the evening to see why.

He did, couldn't get in the door for queueing students, so we let him through the Private Flat entrance and he came in, had one drink and said "well done" and left.

You probably recall, when the Frog was full, we closed both doors and I manned the bottom door allowing in more students as the crowds thinned and my friend Caz ( Derek Castleton) allowed people out through the top door.

There was never any problems the Students queued respectfully and waited to get in, NO VIOLENCE.

After we had closed we all had a drink together and left. Our cleaner, Janet Barker, then started to scrub all the floors with the electric scrubber and recoated the floors with a couple of coats of liquid polish.

Next morning we put all the furniture back in place and no one would have guessed the amount of patying the night before.

Once again the Staff did a superb job.

Thanks

Oh yes, those were the days!I do remember everything that wasn't nailed down being removed!I remember always running out of certificates for the 'Roger and out' brew as the students dared each other to try it.It always used to make me laugh when their eyes went like saucers and they asked 'Erm, what will it do to me if I try some?' !!!Ahh the innocence of youth!!

Do you remember when you started to do a cheese bar too, and you used to set it up with the grapes and stuff, no other pub did that at the time!

I'd forgotten about the saw dust, but you're right in that the pub was miraculously transformed from the previous night into a quiet, respectful, lunchtime boozer the following day.

I also recall Sunday nights where there'd be an acoustic session - I played a couple of times (just happened to be there and asked one of the guitarists if I could join in).

There was also the Foresters across the road, another down-to-earth city centre boozer. In the other direction, The Hornblower and on West Street, the B-Hive, Mailcoach, Hallamshire and West Street Hotel - all no-nonsense, straight forward city centre pubs. And of course, the Red Deer hidden away on Pitt Street.

Hardly a theme pub in sight (although the B-Hive was as near as you might get around this time). Just good pubs, decent ales, fairly cheap too and as we keep saying, hardly any trouble.

I also miss The Stonehouse.

Oh yes, those were the days!I do remember everything that wasn't nailed down being removed!I remember always running out of certificates for the 'Roger and out' brew as the students dared each other to try it.It always used to make me laugh when their eyes went like saucers and they asked 'Erm, what will it do to me if I try some?' !!!Ahh the innocence of youth!!

Do you remember when you started to do a cheese bar too, and you used to set it up with the grapes and stuff, no other pub did that at the time!

Of course I remember ths Cheese Bar.

It took me about 2 hour to set up

the trouble is now that the licensees don't want the hassle.

The biggest success, as regards food, was the fish counter which Was at the front of the upstairs area.

Every morning at about 6am, I went down to the Whoesale Market to buy the fish and then came back to the Frog to set it all up in the refridgerated display.

All that took about 3 hours but was well worth it.

Many days we saw well heeled business men and women standing eating their "red snapper" and salad, and the next to them a student eating his Cod or Haddock and Chips.

The choice was theirs and often it was the Student who chose the more exotic fish, but being reasonably priced anyone could enjoy these, then, unususal types of fish.

When I had finished in the Kitchen I often stood at the end of the Bar,on a Saturday Lunchtime, with Jane, ex landlady of the Mail Coach,, and thought " well so many people having a good time thank goodness.

As always my Staff handled the situation superbly.

Landlords should remember you are only as good as your Staff. So appreciate them.

I'd forgotten about the saw dust, but you're right in that the pub was miraculously transformed from the previous night into a quiet, respectful, lunchtime boozer the following day.

I also recall Sunday nights where there'd be an acoustic session - I played a couple of times (just happened to be there and asked one of the guitarists if I could join in).

There was also the Foresters across the road, another down-to-earth city centre boozer. In the other direction, The Hornblower and on West Street, the B-Hive, Mailcoach, Hallamshire and West Street Hotel - all no-nonsense, straight forward city centre pubs. And of course, the Red Deer hidden away on Pitt Street.

Hardly a theme pub in sight (although the B-Hive was as near as you might get around this time). Just good pubs, decent ales, fairly cheap too and as we keep saying, hardly any trouble.

I can't believe that you missed out the Bath Hotel from that selection! I remember the West Street Hotel being a bit of a posey place to be honest from my younger days. My first experience was as a 16 year old when working for a 'fly by night, wanted by Watchdog, type kitchen company round the back, in 1990, and it seemed like a bit of a Delboy bar.

I loved the old Mail Coach, and then the subsequent walk round taking in the Hornblower, the Frog, and the Foresters.

I loved the fact that there were separate rooms in the Foresters as well, especially the little snug type bit on the left on the way in.

Roger, have you still got the recipe for Conqueror :love:;) I loved Reckless, but Conqueror was divine :love:

I can't believe that you missed out the Bath Hotel from that selection! I remember the West Street Hotel being a bit of a posey place to be honest from my younger days. My first experience was as a 16 year old when working for a 'fly by night, wanted by Watchdog, type kitchen company round the back, in 1990, and it seemed like a bit of a Delboy bar.

I loved the old Mail Coach, and then the subsequent walk round taking in the Hornblower, the Frog, and the Foresters.

I loved the fact that there were separate rooms in the Foresters as well, especially the little snug type bit on the left on the way in.

Roger, have you still got the recipe for Conqueror :love:;) I loved Reckless, but Conqueror was divine :love:

The present licensee has all the recipes for all my beers.

I was talking to him about a year ago and he confirmed that he had all the brewing records from my time at the Frog

Obviously the Brewhouse is still operational since they brew Roger and Out albeit at about 12% alcohol.

So why don't you lobby him to ask him to brew Reckless and Conqueror(Original Gravity 1066) for you

You never know he may oblige

Glad you enjoyed the brews it makes all the hard work and long hours worth while

You mentioned there some of my favourite pubs

The Mail Coach, Landlord the late Walter Scott and his wife Jane.

I lost contact with Jane a few years back does anyone know of her whereabouts ?

The Forresters with the late Tony ( Bomber Baines) and his wife Pat

The Hallamshire with Jim.

Great pubs and great landlords

The present licensee has all the recipes for all my beers.

I was talking to him about a year ago and he confirmed that he had all the brewing records from my time at the Frog

Obviously the Brewhouse is still operational since they brew Roger and Out albeit at about 12% alcohol.

So why don't you lobby him to ask him to brew Reckless and Conqueror(Original Gravity 1066) for you

You never know he may oblige

Glad you enjoyed the brews it makes all the hard work and long hours worth while

Was it 17.4% when you got the record? Reckless and Conqueror were fantastic beers.

They were also more consistent than other local brews, Kirby being a case in point.

I/we shall have to ask for a brew then!

Archived