"Roger And Out" at the Frog & Parrot

I went to the F & P with a mate of mine while he was studying at Hallam Uni circa 1983. He'd already told me about the R & O and of course, we each drank the 3 lots of third-pints and got the requisite certificates (which I'm sure I still have somewhere). I have to say that, despite only having bare floorboards to sleep on at his house, I got a great night's kip!

Anyway, the reason for my post is that I also bought a bottle of R & O to take out - and I still have it (obviously untouched). Stupid question, but would it be worth anything (apart from a complete closing down of liver functions to anyone drinking it now)? I understand that the pub is still there but the beer has long since stopped being brewed. It has long been something I've wondered about and I decided to Google 'Roger and Out' tonight just to see if it jogged anyone's memory. Are bottles of this still in circulation?

Do they still serve it, though? I thought, like the Reckless that I still pine for, it was no longer available. In fact, isn't the F & P just another run-of-the-mill city centre boozer nowadays offering bland and widely available beer?

They haven't served it for years.

I had some in the late 90's, somewhere between 95 and 99, that's how much memory I lost!

And it was definitely thirds it was served in by that point in time.

I remember when the frog was called the prince of wales I used to work there for a few years in the 70s for a guy called Fred Johnson and his wife Pat, it was an old fashioned pub. and always full of student's because the old royal hospital was across the road and the students were nearly always medical, and there was the fire station a few doors down we had loads of firemen cam in when they were off duty even on nights they came in even after time. it was full of characters not forgetting the police C I D who frequented the pub one regular was called Dave who was the boiler man at the royal who always sat out side of the boiler on an old chair, as soon as the doors opened he was in and would have 3 or 4 pints then then come back a couple of hours later that went on all day happy days

I remember when the frog was called the prince of wales I used to work there for a few years in the 70s for a guy called Fred Johnson and his wife Pat, it was an old fashioned pub. and always full of student's because the old royal hospital was across the road and the students were nearly always medical, and there was the fire station a few doors down we had loads of firemen cam in when they were off duty even on nights they came in even after time. it was full of characters not forgetting the police C I D who frequented the pub one regular was called Dave who was the boiler man at the royal who always sat out side of the boiler on an old chair, as soon as the doors opened he was in and would have 3 or 4 pints then then come back a couple of hours later that went on all day happy days

I remember Joe Cocker playing there in the 60's

The good old F & P. As I remember the beer was served in a wine glass. They served plate sized YORKSHIRE PUDDINGS with onion gravy,and at the side of the bar was a clear part of the floor where you could see the brewery in the cellar. If you bought bottles to take outside of SHEFFIELD they would give you some chalk to write on the wall beams where you where taking them.One afternoon I had the 3 maximum and another beer or two and ended up leaving the car,and took a bus home,(sound like there is a good joke to be had in that). I still have a couple of bottles of ROGER and OUT and this is a good excuse to open one and see how is.

CHEERS

Strangely enough, after this sort of thing went out of fashion and the F&P (AFAIK) got rid of the micro brewery and now just serves unpleasant mass produced beers and bottles. It has come back into fashion, and there are several pubs around Sheffield now where you can see the micro brewery and they sell a huge range of craft ales, including their own.

Do they still serve it, though? I thought, like the Reckless that I still pine for, it was no longer available. In fact, isn't the F & P just another run-of-the-mill city centre boozer nowadays offering bland and widely available beer?

That would be a cry'ing shame .

I used to live near the F&P at one time. When I had friends visit from away , it was great to take them in there .

They only sold the R&O in halves - suggesting that you only had the one , with the certificate of course ,and then try something else .

The next visit to Sheffield will have to include the F&P.

I will try to keep an open mind.

Still. If the the beer is good it will be worth it .

However , as you say , the atmosphere of the pub was great.

People just went in for a good pint and no "going over the top".

Archived