Gaslamps - When did they stop using them?

deadgobby

There's an old gas lamp situated at the rear of the new tesco, just off west street.

It is a bit special to me, as it marks the spot where my dad's house was when he was a kid. :D

It's now council car parking. :(

There was a cafe on the top of Broomhall Street, called the Rickshaw (IIRC). my dad's parents lived in a private flat above the cafe. The lamp was right ouside the caff!

I overlook it's site, as I sit in my office at work!

(And yes the lamp at the top of Frog Walk, off Cemetery Road is still there... I live a few yards from it!)

PT

When I was a little lad, a man with a long pole used to go down Bellhouse Road in Shire green, he used to reach up to the gas lamp open a door with a hook on the stick and ignite the gas with a wick burning in a tube also on the pole..I think he only did this on problem lamps with faulty pilot lights...Another lamplighter I remember was at High Green, I used to see him on Thorncliffe Row where several gas lamps lit up the Stone terraced houses. This was when I used work at Newton Chambers in the late 50's

Originally posted by mega_monty

There used to be a methane gas lamp at Darnall on the junction of Price of Wales Rd and Main Road, but was lost in the early 1990's when they widened the junction. Used to amaze that it burnt 24hrs a day.

Those old methane burners served a very useful purpose. A council worker once had a lucky escape at that junction. He was burning white paint markings off the road when there was an explosion and all six of the BT cast iron manhole covers were thrown about thirty feet into the air. These covers weigh about a hundredweight each. I believe one missed a bus by just a few inches and another landed on the back of a passing lorry.

• 3 months later...

Archived