Gaslamps - When did they stop using them?

deadgobby

Guest poppins
Originally posted by sharkw

Well Miss Poppins Age is a state of the mind and remember I've got there, you havn't yet

Sharkw, I'm an oldie too, i was just kidding .

I noticed one just tosay, on Foxhill road just a few roads above the service station, (where I was taking my car for the MOT) it looked like it still had the old gas workings inside, as some vandal has smashed one of the panes. Hope this adds another to your collection. (my car passed by the way):clap::thumbsup::clap:

Always remember one at Bents Green near junction Ringinglow Road and Trap Lane in the late 50s. Watched a bloke light it once whilst waiting for a bus home from my gran's. That's when I learned what the bar across near the top was for. He used ladders did this bloke!

The lamps that are connected to the sewers run on ordinary town gas (not sewer gases / methane). They are usually at the high points in the sewer run, left on all the time and, because of the chimney effect, tend to draw air / smells from the sewers. They were installed because Sheffield's sewers were so poor that noxious gas used to collect very easily.

Originally posted by nuf_said

The lamps that are connected to the sewers run on ordinary town gas (not sewer gases / methane).

That doesn't make sense, why would you pump town gas down a sewer ?

Sewer gas lamp destructors burnt off noxious gases like methane, the lighting of the streets was just an ancillary benefit from the process.

Town gas Lamps ran on just Town gas (derived from coal at coking plants) which was piped to the lamps.

Originally posted by mega_monty

That doesn't make sense, why would you pump town gas down a sewer ?

Sewer gas lamp destructors burnt off noxious gases like methane, the lighting of the streets was just an ancillary benefit from the process.

Town gas Lamps ran on just Town gas (derived from coal at coking plants) which was piped to the lamps.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. No you don't pump gas down the sewer. The gas lamp works off the normal town gas main like all the others - but it has a connection down into the sewer down through the coolumn - usually the base of that lamp post is fatter than normal. The flame draws up air from below (chimney effect) and this air is being drawn up from the sewer thereby creating an air movement in the sewer and venting it.

There isn't enough calorific value in the 'methane' / stink in the sewer to light the lamp itself.

Archived