Gaslamps - When did they stop using them?

deadgobby

Originally posted by sheffexpat

Seem to remember one on Frog Walk , near the wooden bridge that goes over the Porter.

I'm sure I met Miss Poppins there once , about 1958?

As I remember it from the late 40s, Frog Walk was pretty spooky :D

My Dad used to take me that way to the General Cemetery....a lot of my ancestors are buried in there.

• 3 months later...

i've been wondering if anyone knows who is responsible for the upkeep of the lamps, and if the council are obliged to keep them connected if they are doing all this work on the sewerage system.

I have been trying to map the location of all existing lamps in Sheffield.

You may be interested to know that there are 2 lamps of the same make in Whiltey Bay! My parents who are from there hadn't noticedc them! amazing what you see when you really look!

• 8 months later...
As I remember it from the late 40s, Frog Walk was pretty spooky :D

Nearly sixty years on, the Frog and Toad walks are STILL a bit spooky, even in daylight.

they are very gloomy, the overgrowth of the trees and the high, dark stone walls make them a bit forbidding.

PT

Plian talker — I’m sure you’ll probably know this but not all Posters will. Toad Walk was originally The Old Walk, which became T’owd Walk and subsequently, because of its proximity to Frog Walk, Toad Walk. I’ve mentioned in other Postings that before and during the war my parents were caretakers at the Bottom Snuff Mill which as you will know is quite close by.

The last time I travelled along Brincliffe Edge Road was a nostalgic trip to see a house — number 14*— where my parents lived for a short while. Must admit, I never noticed gas lamps but I’ll keep me eyes open the next time I visit. Gaslamps when I was a kid gave off a bit of welcome heat in winter. I was mortified when they were along Ecclesall Road by electric, but at least they gave more light.

I’ve mentioned in other Postings that before and during the war my parents were caretakers at the Bottom Snuff Mill which as you will know is quite close by.

Peter, - going a bit off topic, but can you remember if there was a timber yard at the top of Frog Walk on Cemetery road ?

In the late forties we would often walk to Endclife Park up Sharrow lane and along Sharrow vale. The field at the side of Wilson's dam always fascinated me, it was like an oasis and I'm sure we occasionally saw sheep or perhaps goats in that field.

Archived