The benefits class

So you'd be quite happy to double or triple the number of 'pen-pushers' and 'snoopers' that would cost you around...oooh...an extra £30k each per annum from your taxes (£30k x 200,000 extra staff - do the maths) in order to monitor the spending habits of the poor, to hound old ladies and lads with terrible dyslexia in the Co-op and hector them to "Put down the Mini Rolls! You are only allowed to eat Flax Flavoured Organic Yogurt! Step away from the shelf!"

What bit of research came up with an extra 200,000 staff at J30k a year? i regularly see benefits claimants buying bottles of vodka, cases of beer etc etc, are you happy that they appear to be able to afford these luxuries when we have pensioners scared to turn their heating on because of the cost?

Lets get our priorities right.

So you'd be quite happy to double or triple the number of 'pen-pushers' and 'snoopers' that would cost you around...oooh...an extra £30k each per annum from your taxes (£30k x 200,000 extra staff - do the maths) in order to monitor the spending habits of the poor, to hound old ladies and lads with terrible dyslexia in the Co-op and hector them to "Put down the Mini Rolls! You are only allowed to eat Flax Flavoured Organic Yogurt! Step away from the shelf!"

And look at the benefits to economics? 200,000 less on the dole, increased tax revenue for the government.

What bit of research came up with an extra 200,000 staff at J30k a year? i regularly see benefits claimants buying bottles of vodka, cases of beer etc etc, are you happy that they appear to be able to afford these luxuries when we have pensioners scared to turn their heating on because of the cost?

Lets get our priorities right.

You seem to be OBSESSED with benefits claimants, Mr Contrite. You see them everywhere. Why are you so interested in them? Do you think they lead more interesting lives than you do? :P

StarSparkle

You seem to be OBSESSED with benefits claimants, Mr Contrite. You see them everywhere. Why are you so interested in them? Do you think they lead more interesting lives than you do? :P

StarSparkle

Very possibly, on a daily basis, they have access to free leisure facilities, swimming, squash, weight training etc etc, whilst i graft for 11 hours a day.

Not obsessed, but as the thread is titled benefits class, and i posted it, it stands to reason that i am likely to post more on it, or perhaps you would prefer me to post a topic, and stand back and not contribute.

Very possibly, on a daily basis, they have access to free leisure facilities, swimming, squash, weight training etc etc, whilst i graft for 11 hours a day.

NO they don't, I think you're confusing benefits with prison

Not obsessed, but as the thread is titled benefits class, and i posted it, it stands to reason that i am likely to post more on it, or perhaps you would prefer me to post a topic, and stand back and not contribute.

same here, although i know a few people legitimately claiming health/disability benefits.

i can openly admit that is does **** me off that we have two incomes coming in, yet we can't afford gym membership. i have to budget for spectacles, dentists visits etc and yes i still buy the cheaper options 'cos i don't have £300 for a pair of designer specs.

but we have a hard core of scroungers, spongers whatever you want to call them that have no intention of working - get to booze and smkoe all day, get free prams and pushchairs,gym memberships,swimming lessons, evening classes etc etc.

in reality everything that i work for.

it could have been tongue in cheek foxy, but in case it wasn't. i'm afraid they do.

there has always been free sessions at my local sports centre and free gym membership all year. although not at peak times,'cos thats for those that have to pay and wait until the end of a working day.

I stand corrected, it costs J1.20

Bonus Slice card

If you receive means tested benefits, you may be entitled to discounted leisure activities.

The costs of the Bonus Slice card are:

£2.20 initial charge

60p for each dependant

free renewals

£1.20 fee for most activities*

* exceptions apply.

If you are claiming any of the benefits below, you will be able to apply for a Bonus Slice card, by showing the appropriate documentation:

Bonus Slice card entitlement Benefit Documentation required

Job seekers allowance Current official letter stating entitlement.

(JSA book alone,will not be accepted)

Unemployed/interim payment Allowance book, card or current official letter stating that you are entitled to the allowance.

Youth training courses Official letter from your employer or agency

Income support Current, official letter of entitlment

Housing Benefit Current letter of entitlement or rent card

Council Tax benefit Notice of entitlement or bill showing rebate. (Not student or single person rate)

Working tax credit Official letter from Inland Revenue showing payment. Not Child Tax credit alone

Invalid care allowance Allowance book naming carer

Disabled persons tax credit Official letter showing payment

Attendance allowance Award notice

Disability working allowance Award notice

NHS: AG2, AG3, HC2, HC3, certificate holders Certificate for one of these

Pension credit Letter of entitlement showing guarantee credit

Asylum Seeker Letter showing support from Oxfordshire County Council - Social Service or NASS scheme.

Foster Carers Letter of carer status from Social Services.

To apply for additional family members, documentation for each individual will need to be produced.

The following 'related documents' can be downloaded from the right hand menu:

Bonus Slice - proof of eligibility

grab a slice

Slice card application form

fees and charges for leisure facilities

To find out more see the leisure and sports contacts page for the Slice Card manager's contact details.

Archived