The benefits class

The 'underclass' thesis is not applicable to those people that work and claim benefits. Its usually refers to those who, don't work, claim benefits and indulge in criminal behaviour.

I am not defending or condeming his arguement. I come from a working class background myself and know the ''respectable'' working classes work hard, and have a strong moral code.

If you are working, and are entitled to benefits then you should be claiming them without doubt.

On the other hand, if employers paid decent wages, people on lower incomes would be independent of the state, but that's a different arguement. Then there is the issue of white collar crime and not contributing to society through tax avoidance.

Who's the greater scrounger?

But what about the effects of Eastern European immigration on wages?

An astonishing one in six households across the country are officially classified as 'workless' - having adults of working age but none with a job - and almost 1.8 million children are now growing up in these homes.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=469369&in_page_id=1770&ito=1490

The unemployment rate is 5.5% (one in twenty of the population), yet you say one in six households has nobody working. These figures don't add up, unless the average household has four people of working age, which it clearly doesn't.

It always amazes me how some try to justify benefit scroungers.

It always amazes me how some people turn on the weak easy targets rather than the strong. How the overclass must chortle.

For example, I used to work for a company where the majority of staff, the "directors", got away with declaring their monthly salaries as £300, and then paying themselves thousands in expenses, cars, consumer goods, cash, catering, mileage, dividends, clothing etc :rolleyes:

It always amazes me how some people turn on the weak easy targets rather than the strong. How the overclass must chortle.

For example, I used to work for a company where the majority of staff, the "directors", got away with declaring their monthly salaries as £300, and then paying themselves thousands in expenses, cars, consumer goods, cash, catering, mileage, dividends, clothing etc :rolleyes:

Thats fine, just start a thread on the subject then, this one is concerning the benefits class.

On this topic, Mr. Cameron has just announced the new Tory Mission----to repair a ' broken society '.

In the Tory version, they see Britain as a " ..broken society riddled with debt and addiction, welfare dependency, family breakdown and educational failure.....

....family breakdown costs 24 billion a year, educational underachievement 18 billion and crime 60 billion ".

This was the big challenge of our time......." broken families, broken neighbourhoods, lives blighted by addiction, generational unemployment, crime and disorder ".

The implication is that if you vote for the Cameron Crew, they will roll up their sleeves and tackle these horrendous problems. ' Gloomy ' Gordon, the tax-payers' pal, has been making low, rumbling sounds of a similar nature, as did ' Sunny Boy ' Blair before he walked into the sunshine.

The strange thing is that millions of people have been saying for the last 25 years or so, that H.M.S. Brittania is going slowly and surely down the pan.

Didn't the Tories or Labour lot ever notice how things were developing ?

It's a bit late to be wringing their hands now in a bid to get elected or re-elected. They are both very, very lucky that the British electorate are either so tolerant [ or so something ! ] that they haven't elbowed both the main parties out and voted for someone else before now.

"In one third of cases the household "reference person" - in whose name the home is rented or owned - has no qualifications, compared with 14 per cent of wider adult population"

How do they know that for a fact? Last I knew they didnt ask you to list qualifications when claiming benefits of any kind. The 14% includes this apparant figure and also must take into account those who work and have no qualifications (like Richard Branson and Alan Sugar)

"51 per cent of adults in workless households are registered with a long-term disability."

So they are not necessarily all work shy, but may have a genuine disability, and 51% (2.1 million) of the figure stated (4.2 million) are those on disability allowances and other such benefits (I am assuming)

So lets assume those claiming disability allowances, carers allowances (yes those who stay home to care for infirm, disabled or elderly people) are genuine (though of course not all are) the actual figure of people claiming and fit for work is 2.1 million.

Still unacceptable until you look at the bigger picture, I'm sure there is a large proportion of layabouts who use the old phrase, I can't afford to work cos I would lose my benefits, but I doubt the figure of genuine claimants is quite so drastic.

I dont refer to it as an underclass, it is a group of people who appear to take pride from the fact that they are benefits class, .

How many people do you know personally who are 'proud' of being unemployed?

Have you any idea of the misery that unemployment causes?

My wish for you, is that you get a taste of it - and then get to suffer bigots like yourself trying to make out that you love it.

If you really want to see some wastage of tax pounds you have plenty of areas to choose from.

Although it might not be so pleasurable an occupation than kicking those who are already down.

You really were taking the p when you chose your username weren't you?

How many people do you know personally who are 'proud' of being unemployed?

Have you any idea of the misery that unemployment causes?

My wish for you, is that you get a taste of it - and then get to suffer bigots like yourself trying to make out that you love it.

If you really want to see some wastage of tax pounds you have plenty of areas to choose from.

Although it might not be so pleasurable an occupation than kicking those who are already down.

You really were taking the p when you chose your username weren't you?

My username was chosen carefully, as for the benefits class, maybe pride was too strong a word, but there is a generation who feel that benefits are their entitlement, and do make it a career, seeing how much they can claim is their version of a promotion.

I have never critisised those in genuine need of the safety net of benefits, which would be obvious if you were to read my earlier posts.

My neighbours are unemployed, 2 kids another on the way, and no prospects of ever working.

Archived