The benefits class

This I do agree on. Child welfare is a global issue, and having children is a privelage, not a right (in my humble opinion) Many countries, including our own, could benefit on more pragmatic thinking - it is not fair to raise children in an environment that is economically, socially and emotionally inadequate - hence why a lot of couples wait until they are financially secure (or as secrue as they can be) before starting a family.

And what happens if it takes longer to become 'financially secure' than a couple expected it would, and they end up leaving it too late to have children? Wouldn't they have been better to have taken the risk of having kids when they were younger? I'd say so.

StarSparkle

This I do agree on. Child welfare is a global issue, and having children is a privelage, not a right (in my humble opinion) Many countries, including our own, could benefit on more pragmatic thinking - it is not fair to raise children in an environment that is economically, socially and emotionally inadequate - hence why a lot of couples wait until they are financially secure (or as secrue as they can be) before starting a family.

Yes and huge efforts are made to educate people the world over, women particularly, that you do not need to breed hordes of kids to feel fulfilled! But with the right not to be forced to have children and to be denied contraception also comes the right to have a choice in the matter. Some, despite my rather feminist outlook, still see having large broods as the most fulfilling thing imaginable. The furthest I or anyone else can go is enable women to have a choice, and to be educated and informed in that choice - the rest is a private matter.

Like I've said elsewhere though, the habit of big families is dying out and in fact we're seeing some more negative effects in that more women are maybe being too sensible and leaving it a bit too late to start having kids and that brings other problems... :(

and in fact we're seeing some more negative effects in that more women are maybe being too sensible and leaving it a bit too late to start having kids and that brings other problems... :(

There are always millions of orphans.

Archived