The benefits class

And what's with all this 'underclass' stuff. (I have edited out the next bit as I am thinking about the phrase I use - and have jokingly used for some time to those who worry about the class that people are in).

I worked for twenty something years - when I finished work in 1992 I was paying £60 a week out of my wage in tax and NI. I am now not able to work and I am only taking back out what I paid into...National INSURANCE....the clues are there????? :D

Ah well its not that easy.. I have fortunately never been in that position however I have worked for a blue chip company which trimmed its workforce to within an inch of me being a casualty.

Just for a minute pretend, the only job you could get would be flippin burgers at maccy d's, minimum wage because you are too old and past it for anyone to be bothered to employ you.

Mortgage to pay, commitments on credit cards etc... how would you manage?

I did reply, but jjust to add, i have, with my wife, taken cleaning jobs, delivered yellow pages, bookies sheets for the next days horse racing and any other number of jobs, and if i lost my job for longer than i envisaged, i could downsize to a mobile home if needed, funnily enough i am not materialistic, health and happiness and a good family life mean more to me, and if the lot went tomorrow it wouldnt be that much of a disaster, i started with nothing, and have the confidence to believe that i would survive almost anything, the one thing that would cripple me is divorce:)

And what's with all this 'underclass' stuff. (I have edited out the next bit as I am thinking about the phrase I use - and have jokingly used for some time to those who worry about the class that people are in).

I worked for twenty something years - when I finished work in 1992 I was paying £60 a week out of my wage in tax and NI. I am now no able to work and I am only taking back out what I paid into...National INSURANCE....the clues are there????? :D

I have never used, and would never use the term underclass, and if you are unable to work, that is what the benefits sytem is for, my original post is concerning those who think of benefits as a right.

Ah have clarified what I put in my last post....but edited out.....

Concerning this underclass thing....I AM LUMPEN PROLETARIAT and proud of it..... it is described thus:

* the underclass of a human population

source: Answers.com

* dispossessed and uprooted individual cut off from economic and social class with which they might be identified

source: Merriam Websters On-line Dictionary

, i started with nothing, and have the confidence to believe that i would survive almost anything, the one thing that would cripple me is divorce:)

Aw Mr C, underneath your "Meldrew" exterior you have a heart. Im touched by this comment, really. ;)

Archived