The benefits class

That's only because there is no-one else to vote for who is remotely credible.

If there was, the Tories and Labour would both have been consigned to the dustbin of history by now.

That's the HUGE problem with Democracy - you're restricted to voting for who you as the electorate are offered - if you don't like the (virtually-identical) choices, you're effectively disenfranchised.

StarSparkle

whether or not there's someone else to vote for who is remotely credible is, as pretty much always, a matter of opinion. i vote not for any of the 'big 3', but for a party who i believe has credible policies. unfortunately, they're unliklely to make any huge progress due to a host of reasons.

as long as the tories and new labour receive the support of big business (incl. the media), it matters little whether or not they're credible - the 'bewildered herd' will continue to vote for those who they're told are credible, without bothering to investigate for themselves.

and if one won't go out on a limb and vote for a party who isn't identical but is unlikley to win, then we remain in the status quo. unfortunately, politics is just too dam political!

There is unfortunately a tiny minority who simply do not want to work. There always has been. Unfortunately the benefits system is pretty generous and there is no need to work. For one parent families it doesn't pay to work, you are financially better off not working.

The problem isn't the people its the system that holds them up. Benefits shouldn't be a career move. Pregnancy shouldn't be a way to get housing. Sadly at the moment it is. Until that stops benefit scroungers will continue to exist.

Sorry Discodown, I have to disagree, I am a lone parent and work, I wouldn't dream of living on benefits.
I was generalising. There are of course exceptions for every rule.

To be honest I was thinking more about parents of infants where the cost of childcare was so much it renders working almost pointless. To be honest i don't blame them for doing it either. Given the straight choice of working to pay the stranger who looks after your children or claiming benefits and being there for them 24 hours a day I would be very tempted to not work.

Sorry Discodown, I have to disagree, I am a lone parent and work, I wouldn't dream of living on benefits.
it does'ent pay for anyone to live on benefits.... unless you ill, you can work, but the sad fact is... the system stinks.

I was generalising. There are of course exceptions for every rule.

To be honest I was thinking more about parents of infants where the cost of childcare was so much it renders working almost pointless. To be honest i don't blame them for doing it either. Given the straight choice of working to pay the stranger who looks after your children or claiming benefits and being there for them 24 hours a day I would be very tempted to not work.

Well, ironically enough, when I first got involved in the winners charity it was all because its goal was to provide affordable childcare to assist parents into work, I had a toddling child and was a stay at home mum.

8 years later, my son is in the middle of his primary years the nursery has been running for just over two years offering that affordable option with support to get the correct benefits and wrap around care for parents who want to work. :)

By the time we had achieved our aims my son was all grown up and in school but at least I know that its successful and we are helping parents into work.

Archived