The benefits class

Maybe if the benefits for someone who is capable of work but isn't doing, were not sufficient to buy luxuries then there'd be more incentive for them to go and work.

Disabled and injured people are completely different to lazy wasters though, as are genuine claimants who are just between jobs.

But they aren't always sufficient. I see your point in some cases, but I think sometimes people generalise that everybody on benefits has the life of Reilly.

Out of £59.15 a week £5 gets taken off me straight away by the CSA (no complaints about that but I'd rather be working and paying for my kids myself). Then £9.50 for a tram ticket. I put money to one side for my mobile bill (its my only means of contact for a job so essential) and also have £7 a month to pay on my Argos card for stuff I needed when I got my bedsit. On top of that, Sheffield City Council in their infinite wisdom decided that they were only going to pay part of my rent. so week after week I am falling further into debt.

I am applying for loads of jobs, many of which don't even have the common courtesy to reply back. The interviews I've had, I've been up against other applicants so you have to play the percentage game there. One even said "I didn't look like a driver", I'm a bit tubby, balding and in my thirties, I look like about 60% of every van driver I've ever met!!

So, its not always luxury. It saps my pride. I can't go for a pint, I can't take my kids for a burger when I go to see them and I can't do nice things for my girlfriend. I'm not expecting the taxpayer to subsidise those, I'm just saying those are the things I miss and it hurts.

i think the main issue is that you will probably have advised the govt. that you daughter in law is capable and tries to be self sufficient, which is commendable.

the truth is with some cases is that others don't admit to being able to do anything. i know a guy who gets in a wheelchair and has his wife undress him in front of the Dr's.

then when he goes on his jollies he can miraculously dress himself.

Have you considered reporting them?

But they aren't always sufficient. I see your point in some cases, but I think sometimes people generalise that everybody on benefits has the life of Reilly.

Out of £59.15 a week £5 gets taken off me straight away by the CSA (no complaints about that but I'd rather be working and paying for my kids myself). Then £9.50 for a tram ticket. I put money to one side for my mobile bill (its my only means of contact for a job so essential) and also have £7 a month to pay on my Argos card for stuff I needed when I got my bedsit. On top of that, Sheffield City Council in their infinite wisdom decided that they were only going to pay part of my rent. so week after week I am falling further into debt.

I am applying for loads of jobs, many of which don't even have the common courtesy to reply back. The interviews I've had, I've been up against other applicants so you have to play the percentage game there. One even said "I didn't look like a driver", I'm a bit tubby, balding and in my thirties, I look like about 60% of every van driver I've ever met!!

So, its not always luxury. It saps my pride. I can't go for a pint, I can't take my kids for a burger when I go to see them and I can't do nice things for my girlfriend. I'm not expecting the taxpayer to subsidise those, I'm just saying those are the things I miss and it hurts.

I hope you find a decent job soon and everything works out for you.

Have you considered reporting them?

what do you think...

i'd report trevor macdonald for missing the H off hotel.

the response from the investigation was

"they were unable to prove that he was ineligible for benefits".

they obviously weren't keen enough to "take him down".

i do think that some changes have been made to his benefits but mainly due to his age and receipt of state pension or something similar.

I hate those words "benefit scroungers" how do expect people to want to go out to work for £5.25 an hour when it is constantly shoved down their throats what the rich and priviliged have lying in their bank accounts and when they see in the papers that joe bloggs elected councellor has claimed £50,000 expenses.Its all relative their are more idle rich from royalty downwards that are taking more money off the taxpayer than the people on benefits will ever take yet they are expected to graft for 40 hours a week,pay taxes and come home and exist,not live, on £150 a week it just doesnt give you the heart to go out to work.

A hell of a lot of people that are on benefits have to "fiddle just to make ends meet and believe me they graft probably a lot harder than legal workers do,and its the well off who moan about scroungers thats paying them,just so they can save a few bob by paying them low wages and not paying national insurance for them plus they havnt got any records for them so they dont declare to the taxman all their earnings,that bloke,who's fiddling the country out of pounds is classed as a decent,law abiding,tax paying bloke but in truth he's more bent than any so called scrounger.

Start living in the real world before you judge others,corruption on a scale most cant imagine is rife in this country and its happening in the higher echelon at a far greater scale than in the working class group.

The trouble with the lower/middle classes nowadays is snobbery,credit is that easy to get and most of the people who profess to be middle class are that much in debt,what with their big houses and flash cars they are terrified of the dole and so work like slaves just to survive.what did McCawber say..annual income "£20 annual expenditure £19/19/6 result happiness..annual income £20 annual expenditure £20 and sixpence result misery..that is more true nowadays than ever before.

Wow, you really are bitter and jealous that some people have achieved more than you with their lives, aren’t you?? :loopy:

Perhaps you should have worked harder at school.

Wow, you really are bitter and jealous that some people have achieved more than you with their lives, aren’t you?? :loopy:

Perhaps you should have worked harder at school.

Working hard at school does not automatically translate into having a high-paid job as an adult by any means. That's the fairystory they feed you, but it ain't true. It's much more a case of who you know, who your parents are and know, and how far you're prepared to brown-nose

StarSparkle

Working hard at school does not automatically translate into having a high-paid job as an adult by any means. That's the fairystory they feed you, but it ain't true. It's much more a case of who you know, who your parents are and know, and how far you're prepared to brown-nose

StarSparkle

Oh, really. Well in my experience people get on through a combination of talent and hard work; the latter making the most difference.

The claims you make that I highlight above affect a tiny minority of cases and are often the excuses used by left-wingers for their own lack of success.

Oh, really. Well in my experience people get on through a combination of talent and hard work; the latter making the most difference.

The claims you make that I highlight above affect a tiny minority of cases and are often the excuses used by left-wingers for their own lack of success.

Yes, really. Don't kid yourself - if everyone was rewarded according to how hard they worked at their job, there'd be a lot of millionaires at work, especially in the health services. Unfortunately, real life ain't like that.

Come on down into the real world, DungBeetle, or whatever your real Forum name is.

StarSparkle

Maybe if the benefits for someone who is capable of work but isn't doing, were not sufficient to buy luxuries then there'd be more incentive for them to go and work.

£59.15 JSA is plenty for the luxuries of life. As long as you don't need to eat or heat your house in the winter.

Archived