The benefits class

Out of all the people I still know from school, the hard working clever ones are the ones who have the better careers, houses, cars, etc... None of us know anyone who can ease our way through our chosen careers.

I also know clever people who aren't so hard working, and hard working people (now) who weren't so at school. And in every case they have less successful careers.

Nepotism does happen I'm sure, but it's far less prevalent than you think and hard work at school and at work are often rewarded with some level of success.

Couldn't agree more - especially with the success record of the people I know from school and university who have - or have not - been successful reflecting their diligence or lack thereof

In fact, the most successful ones have been from humble backgrounds, but have been people willing to take risks with their careers and investments - starting from nothing when they were young.

Jeffrey Archer, for his faults, is a smart bloke. He said there are two basic qualities he gauges people by: talent, and energy. Those with talent will not necessarily succeed unless they back it up with hard work. Those with energy will work their way to success without necessarily having much talent. When you come across somebody with both – watch out!

He’s spot on.

1.im not bitter or jealous

2.im working class and proud of it

3.i aint a oik

4.i dont profess to anything im not

5,go feed your kids you.ll be buggered i expect if you gotta pay cash

1. No, you’re both.

2. Clearly.

3. That’s a matter of opinion.

4. You hardly could.

5. Sorry to disappoint you :hihi:

1. No, you’re both.

2. Clearly.

3. That’s a matter of opinion.

4. You hardly could.

5. Sorry to disappoint you :hihi:

:hihi:

If people are happy to sit on their backsides and expect the good times to come knocking on their doors then they are likely to be sorely disappointed, to get anywhere in life you have to show initiative, not like some on here who seem to blame society in general for their own shortcomings.

If people are happy to sit on their backsides and expect the good times to come knocking on their doors then they are likely to be sorely disappointed, to get anywhere in life you have to show initiative, not like some on here who seem to blame society in general for their own shortcomings.

:clap::clap:

Some have the work ethic and some don’t, some would rather work for minimum wage than put their hand out,

Some have the work ethic and some don’t, some would rather work for minimum wage than put their hand out,

especially those from a culture that encourages hard work to prosper, and you can bet it isn't England.

Yes, and hats off to the people who have the character and pride to do that - to take a crap job as a stop-gap rather than take benefits. My father did that, and I did myself many years ago for a short time, but some bufoons might say I've only succeeded because I had connections. I've done okay through hard work and the willingness to try new things.

Funny that. You and the rest of the BNP blame the people who ARE legally here, who HAVE got off their backsides, and who ARE working, AND paying taxes, who happen not to be from the UK, of taking the jobs from the scrotes you seem to despise.

Had the jobs been taken by said scrotes ......... you never did answer that one ..........

Funny that. You and the rest of the BNP blame the people who ARE legally here, who HAVE got off their backsides, and who ARE working, AND paying taxes, who happen not to be from the UK, of taking the jobs from the scrotes you seem to despise.

Had the jobs been taken by said scrotes ......... you never did answer that one ..........

and you have proof that he's a member of the bnp.

fantastic posts HH, you're either insulting people and calling them liars or insulting them by accuding them of being members of alleged racist political parties.

do you not know how to debate or offer opinion without such crass childish behaviour.

Well said. I have recently started work again after being unemployed for a few months. Mr Monz works full time but on a low income, minimum wage - tax and NI = net pay of £165. He has been working for 31 years since leaving school and has never been unemplyed. I have worked for 29 years since leaving school and have never been unemployed before.

I was entitled to £57 per week. We were unable to claim working tax credit as it is assessed on last years earnings and last year I earned about £40k, so were unable to get any help with council tax either. During this period of unemployment we have spent every penny of our savings just on keeping our household ticking over but have bits and pieces of arrears that we have to catch up, so it is going to take us a few months to get these sorted out and will probably take us a couple of years to accrue some more rainy day money. A holiday is a dream at the moment unless we have a windfall.

When I started my new job I had missed the payroll deadline for July so I will not get paid until the 31 August. I asked when I signed off with DWP (oh, what a happy day that was) if I could have any help with my tram pass for work until I got paid and I was told that no help is available as I was not out of work long enough. So the next month is going to be really tough for us. I think I am going to have to phone my brother to ask him if I can borrow some money just to get me to work and back, and I had been using my benefit to pay the council tax which obviously I no longer get. We cannot pay this so I know that when I do get paid I will have to pay the full balance for the year (£700) or go to court so that will be a big % of my salary gone straight away. I have explained the circumstances with them and tried to negotiate, asked them if I could pay half in July and catch up in August but they have said no.

However my neighbours (who are lovely people, this is not a gripe at them, just an observation) have not worked for at least the 7 years I have lived here, have two cars, go out about 4 nights a week and have just been to ask me to look after their cat as they are going to Spain for 2 weeks.

If benefits were meant to be a safety net for working people the net must have big holes because I have fell right through it.

Hi there,

with regards to council tax, although you will get a letter from the council tax saying you will have to clear the full outstanding balance, this is not true. As long as you telephone them as soon as you have been paid,. Tell them you wish to make a rrangement to pay your tax, they will agree to this. The same happened to me sometime last year. My monthly payment was £89, but as I agreed to pay £100 a month on a certain date each month that was fine. If you stick to it they are fine!

Hope this helps.

Archived