Big ada - Does anyone remember her?

spikey

Memories, Memories!

"Get your dancing Micky's, a Micky or a Minnie.

Everyone's a winner!

Those few words bring so many memories come flooding back

Thanks Sweetdexter!

Happy Days!

What was a dancing Mickey? A Mickey Mouse doll on a string? Just don't remember it.

Dancing Mickey's and Minnie's were coloured cardboard cutouts of the Disney characters.

They had very thin cotton strings attached and you could dance them on the pavement.

For some reason you could never get them to dance like the seller but they were amusing to watch, very popular with kids.

Happy Days! PopT

• 1 year later...

yes i remember her i used to deliver salad and fruit to her i worked for a haulier in the parkway markets. she had a wharehouse at the back of thackerays fishing tackle shop on sheaf street,there was also a smaller woman called lilly i think who shared the wharehouse with her (what a pair of characters hearts of gold though).also delivered to a mr perrozzi on dixon lanea small chap with a very gruff voice ha a son called paul ,i used to knock around with him on the wybourn and manor park ,other lads with us were pete knight glen swoboda pete jesney had some great times fishing together .when we went to thackarys for our bait edith erics wife would fill our tins full of maggots and a few free hooks i think she liked a tipple or twoshe was a diamond ,happy days!

• 9 months later...
My Dad actually sings about Big Ada, lol.. If he's singing a song but doesn't know the proper words he'll sing about Big Ada! :hihi:

Big Ada would be about 25 yrs old when l first met her, l was 14, a green apprentice cabinet maker at Cockaynes,l had to go errands during the morn and one of the blokes asked me to go to her and ask for a pound of damaged tomatoes, she said what's his name who sent thee for them, l said Roland, Roland who she said, l don't know his other name said l, well tell him l am on the lookout for him and when l find him i'll break his f.......g neck, when l told him he went white and said why did you tell her my name, bloke on the next bench said it serves thee right, and she will make it in her way to search thee out, he went whiter still. l got my own back a few days later and told him she had grabbed me and forced me to tell her thee name, and where l worked. she said she was coming up there later this afternoon, l can't stand chuffs who take the **** outer kids he had the afternoon off! Cheers Arfer Mo

Dancing Mickey's and Minnie's were coloured cardboard cutouts of the Disney characters.

They had very thin cotton strings attached and you could dance them on the pavement.

For some reason you could never get them to dance like the seller but they were amusing to watch, very popular with kids.

Happy Days! PopT

They still sell them in the markets in Spain.

I knew Big Ada when i was a kid, my Grandmother had a stall at the bottom end of Dixons lane so to me everyone who worked in the lane was either an Aunt or Uncle

I spoke to Mum about her and she remembered her and then she came up with the funniest comment i think Mum ever said " Tha did know she was a lesbian" Classic Mum....

I suppose i was around 10 or 11 when i used to hang around the lane with my Grandmother.

my dad was her barrow boy

My dad used to work for a taxi company called ruben thomsons or something or other back in the 60s,anyway when ada wanted a taxi she rang and asked if dad was free,this dident go down well with mam but dad always said she was a good tipper..:hihi: