Barracuda

spikey

who remembers the best chippy ever marys baracuda on duke street itwas the best. Top chip shops in sheffield past are tonys wicker , broomheads crookes ,myrtle road of east bank crinkle cut chips,beckits manor top remember the woman with the strange teeth she was a looker and maybe steads on manor lane.

Originally posted by spikey

who remembers the best chippy ever marys baracuda on duke street itwas the best. Top chip shops in sheffield past are tonys wicker , broomheads crookes ,myrtle road of east bank crinkle cut chips,beckits manor top remember the woman with the strange teeth she was a looker and maybe steads on manor lane.

the Barracuda is still there. and it still does the most massive chip butties I have ever seen. only £1.20 (at the last time of buying)

The butties are made from proper "desperate-dan" breadcakes, about 2 to 3 times the size of a normal breadcake.

PT

Hello Spikey. I am an ex-pat chip fanatic [see my Sullivan's chippy, Wincobank thread]. Is Broomheads at Crookes still open then? We lived in Crookes from 1985 to 1991, and I must say that I was never away from the place! They did thebusiness in those days- proper, trad Sheffield stuff with Fishcakes of a high quality. The staff were polite, but so quiet. They never seemed to talk much to each other. Maybe they were stunned into silence by my good looks, or the sheer regularity of my order for double fishcake and chips? Whatever, they were a damned good chippy, and doubtless still are. Have a fishcake for me, won't you?!

Chips? Chips? Don't talk to me about chips. When I were a lad we used to go down to t' chip-oil for a halpenny worth a chips and a twopenny fish, wi scraps on. There'd be enough there to feed a family of 6. And it were real cod, wi North Sea stamped on it, none o this coley, and whiting stuff. An all the chips were about 4 inches long. An when you asked for your order and t' woman said " do you want owt on em" we used to say " aye, another fish" eee we did laugh. Best Chippy I've been in that's still going, Bolehill Fishery on Crookes. Worst, that one on Holme Lane. But then again my horizons aren't that broad.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived