Barracuda

spikey

• 8 months later...
Originally posted by Bushbaby

My favorite chippy is Brenda's in town, next to Violet May's. Lovely fish-butties

brenda is from a great fish and chip shop dynasty her father tony had great chippies all over sheff. wicker duke street Do you know who there mother was mary of baracuda fame

Stanhope Road Chippy, at Intake - they only used to open a couple of days a week, but the queue went down the street.

A little old lady used to peel the spuds in the back room and pass them through a hatch in the wall. I thought she was sat down all the time, but one day she walked round with the chips and she really was only about 4 foot tall!

Buxtons on Alnwick Road was good aswell - the woman who worked there must have been the fastest chip wrapper-upper in the north! She even wore a strange rubber finger thing to make it even quicker for her!

Barracuda was great. My mate used to live near there & we often went round & stuffed ourselves stupid for not much money

Current favourite is "Moorfoot Fisheries" nr the bottom of Eyre st, next to Shapla curry house

Not the cheapest but great quality & only opens in the daytime. Sign of a good chippy when they don't have to open all hours & cater for us drunks

Used to live 2 doors away from Barracuda, chips were great but if you lived so close then the smell stayed with you 24/7.

One for you oldies from Duke Street.

Who can remember the chip shop at the bottom of Duke St, just below the railway bridge in the 50s, early 60s?

The queues used to be halfway up Duke St. Superb fish and chips.

As a kid was always totally amazed as to how quick the girls were at serving you and they were wrapped in proper newspaper, not the fancy trays you get nowadays.

Anyone remember?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Archived