Yoga classes please

If Mrs Surfin is interested in a body challenge then why not go for a spot of very slow but completely intensive Iyengar yoga?

Iyengar yoga is much slower than most of the forms of yoga, but the purity of the movement and the poses is everything. A session may only include 8-10 asanas and savasana, since the asanas can take up 5-10 minutes each.

When I started doing Iyengar, someone who does another type of yoga said to me 'oooh- you're so picky, you Iyengar people!' when I corrected her foot alignment. My teacher took that as a compliment.

Anyway- there's now an Iyengar yoga studio in Walkley. You can find it if you Google 'Sheffield Yoga Centre'. There are lots of different classes every week (although they're on summer break until September now).

If Mrs Surfin is interested in a body challenge then why not go for a spot of very slow but completely intensive Iyengar yoga?

Iyengar yoga is much slower than most of the forms of yoga, but the purity of the movement and the poses is everything. A session may only include 8-10 asanas and savasana, since the asanas can take up 5-10 minutes each.

When I started doing Iyengar, someone who does another type of yoga said to me 'oooh- you're so picky, you Iyengar people!' when I corrected her foot alignment. My teacher took that as a compliment.

Anyway- there's now an Iyengar yoga studio in Walkley. You can find it if you Google 'Sheffield Yoga Centre'. There are lots of different classes every week (although they're on summer break until September now).

Is it a much "slower" type of yoga ?

Is it a much "slower" type of yoga ?

It's much slower than most sorts of yoga- and is suited to therapeutic classes for people with impaired mobility or injuries because of the use of props to help with the asanas.

Don't let that fool you though- it's still hard, intensive work for your body.

It's much slower than most sorts of yoga- and is suited to therapeutic classes for people with impaired mobility or injuries because of the use of props to help with the asanas.

Don't let that fool you though- it's still hard, intensive work for your body.

I can imagine it to be like stretching exercises ,is it ?

I can imagine it to be like stretching exercises ,is it ?

In a very exacting and intensive kind of way- more or less.

It's kind of like the old 'pat your head and rub your stomach' thing- then your teacher says 'now lift your insteps' and you think 'do I have muscles that do that then?'.

In a very exacting and intensive kind of way- more or less.

It's kind of like the old 'pat your head and rub your stomach' thing- then your teacher says 'now lift your insteps' and you think 'do I have muscles that do that then?'.

Wow, you must exercise parts of the body that have never moved much before. Must make you flexible.

Hi! I run ashtanga classes in Walkley (Buddhist Centre - http://www.fwbosheffield.com) S6 and also at Yoga Shala (London Road - http://www.yogashalasheffield.com) S2.

The classes are more dynamic as I teach Ashtanga but we do beginners courses/taster courses to get people's alignment/adjustment corrected.

We offer a system that you can take away and do anywhere (home/holiday etc).

We also offer hatha yoga classes (not sequenced and more gentle).

Drop us a line if you'd like me to talk you through the yoga types.

Namaste,

LL

Archived