Spooky Public footpath Unston,Dronfield

Anybody fancy going up there early evening to have a look around ? Ruby,surely you'd fancy a walk with the walkers group in the SPOOKY WOODS ?

I don't do walking, Tarquin, sorry! But I'll volunteer to sit in the car with the engine running, so that when you all come tearing back down the path ... screaming as though all the hounds of hell are on your heels ... we can make a quick getaway :hihi:

I don't do walking, Tarquin, sorry! But I'll volunteer to sit in the car with the engine running, so that when you all come tearing back down the path ... screaming as though all the hounds of hell are on your heels ... we can make a quick getaway :hihi:

Pah,its weird though ain't it ? Has you avatar just changed ?

You looked like Moira Stuart a minute ago

Pah,its weird though ain't it ? Has you avatar just changed ?

You looked like Moira Stuart a minute ago

ooohhhhh! changing avatars, spooky!! ;)

heheh, someone on another thread said I was like Shirley Maclaine, so I found a pic of her for my avatar, but it scared me so much, I had to go back to myself :D

• 3 years later...

Hey all

I've been there and it's not so scary. But yeah I think I know what you mean - I've seen an area in Monk Wood off the road where there is a wire mesh and what looks like a series of large motors in the middle. I've come across it a couple of times and was very confused by it! It doesn't seem to serve an obvious purpose, I think it's at a roadend (or mud track) fairly in the thick of the woods, but closer to Hallowes golf course than Sheepbridge. If you look on the ordnance survey of the area, I think its position is marked 'Black Piece' (look on bing.com/maps). Hope this helps. I might go and investigate again (:

I think it is a lot further south than the Round Dronfield walk Craig. Is this not the area that Rupert Carr is planning on developing for his Peak resort, and test clearing patches of woods to build log cabins etc.? I am sure thare is nothing spooky going on. The high fences are the original ones form when the area was open cast mining, later land fill. But, he has now owned the site for maybe 4 years, and no visible development yet. I will watch this thread with interest.

And if anyone wants to go exploring, let me know, I am on the doorstep, so to speak.

Edited by smithy266
last line added as afterthought

I'd be up for it, nothing spooks me.

I know of a place in Derbyshire where a certain part of the woods are adorned by dozens of animal skulls, i've camped there quite a few times.

I came across it one evening when a river crossing to my destination was impossible, the sun had gone down and i just wanted to throw the tent up.

I didn't notice the skulls till the next morning but it made me laugh, it's a place few people walk due to the nature of the terrain, just uphill there's a memorial to a walking party that died on the moor.

I'm not going to expand further as it's illegal to camp there, plus i want to keep the place private so i'm guaranteed a pitch there when i go wild camping. ;)

Hi Smithy - yeah you're right, it's just off that site where that resort (supposedly, if money allows) will be built. Actually, speaking of that, do you have any news?

Your observation does make sense of it but I do know I have seen what the original poster is talking about several years ago. Perhaps 6 years ago or beyond. There are logs there but there is a large motor also. I can understand why it would freak people out but I'm sure it has a purpose!

Oh... dur! just seen when Craig's was posted! Still, the new owner had owned it for a while, even then. And had, of course, been planning for at least 15 years before that.

No news that I know of: there's a site hut is in the car park, the one at the bottom of the track (by the slip road at Sheepbridge) went some while back.