Here's looking at you George.

Texas

I was rummaging around one of my favorit environments the other day, a bookshop. You know how they sometimes have those books on a stall outside to sell off items cheaply, well there among the junk nobody wants, I found a little gem.

It was a book on a painter called George Cunningham, and it also illustrated some of his work. I should say at this point that he is a native of Sheffield.

The majority of the illustrations are scenes of Sheffield way back, and, for me a book to be treasured.

I'm not one of your 'arty farty' types and dont know much about the art, but I suppose he is what you'd call a 'primitive'. The art establishment use these terms for somebody who doesn't fit into a slot.

Anyhow I like his stuff. I'm particulary taken by a scene of Norfolk Bridge, lots to look at in that one. The only thing that jars a little is the railway engine, stood at a signal on the bridge. It's a LNER loco, and there wasn't a signal where he's put a signal. Artistic license I suppose. You never know who's looking George. Lovely stuff though.

Texas, is the book published by the Hallamshire Press? I worked on the proofs for the book if so, and was the book sales rep at the time. It's a sort of life of George Cunningham interspersed with paintings of the locations mentioned?

There was a also limited edition printed with the names of the subscribers (the people who paid for the printing of the book) on the flyleaf at the front of the book.

It's a LNER loco, and there wasn't a signal where he's put a signal. Artistic license I suppose. You never know who's looking George. Lovely stuff though.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

I thought that line was the old L.M.S. route?

Archived