Seeking Eric 'Jonah' Jones, Stoker

When I met my husband, Terry Lockwood in 1967, he was an Able Seaman serving on HMS Pellew with a Sheffield lad, Eric ‘Jonah’ Jones. Terry still feels a bit guilty about missing a family wedding Jonah invited him to in Sheffield that Easter, in order to meet me off the train when I came back from Vienna, where I’d been working for a few months. We’d met on New Year’s eve, just before I was due to set off for Vienna, and had been writing ever since. We married that August, and rented a flat in Southsea, Portsmouth, a few doors down from where Jonah, his wife Marian, also from Sheffield and their little baby boy lived. I think Jonah might have lived in Shiregreen. He was a stoker on HMS Pellew, and the two met when Terry had to sleep in the Stokers’ mess, as the Seamans’ mess was full.

Later, Terry joined submarines, we were all given married quarters in different areas, and eventually we lost touch with each other. Terry left the Navy in 1970, and in 1973 we moved to New Zealand, eventually settling in Ipswich, near Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, where our best friend is another Sheffield lad, from Wincobank.

Now that we are pushing retirement age, and vicariously revisiting old haunts on the net, thoughts of our old friend keep resurfacing, so it would be lovely if Jonah were to read this and get in touch with his old Navy mate Terry Lockwood. They had some good times together back in the 60s: fun in Amsterdam, Gibralter, and other naval ports spring to mind, though

• 3 years later...

Juat thought I'd revive this, as we never did find Jonah.

When I met my husband, Terry Lockwood in 1967, he was an Able Seaman serving on HMS Pellew with a Sheffield lad, Eric ‘Jonah’ Jones. Terry still feels a bit guilty about missing a family wedding Jonah invited him to in Sheffield that Easter, in order to meet me off the train when I came back from Vienna, where I’d been working for a few months. We’d met on New Year’s eve, just before I was due to set off for Vienna, and had been writing ever since. We married that August, and rented a flat in Southsea, Portsmouth, a few doors down from where Jonah, his wife Marian, also from Sheffield and their little baby boy lived. I think Jonah might have lived in Shiregreen. He was a stoker on HMS Pellew, and the two met when Terry had to sleep in the Stokers’ mess, as the Seamans’ mess was full.

Later, Terry joined submarines, we were all given married quarters in different areas, and eventually we lost touch with each other. Terry left the Navy in 1970, and in 1973 we moved to New Zealand, eventually settling in Ipswich, near Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, where our best friend is another Sheffield lad, from Wincobank.

Now that we are pushing retirement age, and vicariously revisiting old haunts on the net, thoughts of our old friend keep resurfacing, so it would be lovely if Jonah were to read this and get in touch with his old Navy mate Terry Lockwood. They had some good times together back in the 60s: fun in Amsterdam, Gibralter, and other naval ports spring to mind, though

Hi Joan, Eric is my brother in law. I have let them know you are looking for them and they are really pleased and would love to be in touch with you again. They are not on the internet but their son is, so if you PM me your address or email address I will pass it on to them.

By the way, both Eric and Marion are from Barnsley, not Sheffield, so that is probably why you have had no luck in finding them before now.:D

Hi terry and joan this is marion and eric glad your still alive and kicking :) remember castle road and the barly mow pub and also concrete jungle at rowney :). how is your sister and hope to hear from you shortly. shall we call you blue and now weve got in contact everythings apples good on ya mate hope to hear from you soon. Love eric and marion and family and throw another prawn on the barby.

Hi - this is great, finding you after all these years! I bet you two are already grandparents: we have two lads, both with lovely girlfriends, but no sign of babies yet. James, our eldest age 31 gets married next September. David, our youngest, is serving with the army in East Timor. He has a lovely girlfriend too, and hopes to settle down when he comes back in April. So much news to talk about,so many things have happened....

Have sent contact details to your son via Jayjay.

PS we are still as 'Yorkshire' as ever!!

Luv

Joan

Hi Joan, Eric is my brother in law. I have let them know you are looking for them and they are really pleased and would love to be in touch with you again. They are not on the internet but their son is, so if you PM me your address or email address I will pass it on to them.

By the way, both Eric and Marion are from Barnsley, not Sheffield, so that is probably why you have had no luck in finding them before now.:D

this is great, jayJay - PM on its way....

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

We were in contact with Eric and Marion for 4 years, spoke on Skype, emailed and facebooked, and invited them both to Australia when they could manage it.

Alas, Marion got a return of cancer and was sent to hospital, and the next day Eric died suddenly of a heart attack. We could not believe it. The good news is that Marion's cancer was caught early enough and she'll recover.

We are so glad we were able to 'meet' again after all those years, even though it was only via skype.