Depression (again!) - alternative treatments?

Part of the feeling of depression is the 'can't be bothered' thing...

I'm suffering at the moment too and can't take medication, I'm MAKING myself get out and have a bit of exercise, i hate it, i hate having to get out of bed before lunchtime, but putting myself into situations where i have to is actually doing me good. If hubby has the car and i want to go anywhere i have to walk (or at least walk to the bus stop!). Park at the wrong side of town from where you want to be, it makes you walk further, I make medical etc appts for fairly early in the morning, it gets me out of bed and out of the house early...

So far its doing me good, but you have to make a tiny effort (even though you don't want to) first before the rest starts getting easier!

Also make sure you sit by a window, or go outside for a while everyday, sunlight (even with clouds and rain!!!!!) helps too.

Best of luck with it

I have found that going to the gym and doing a work out has really helped my depression over the last 18 months. it still comes back now and then but not as bad. Also doing martial arts has instilled a sense of well being i've never really experienced before.

Hi,

IMHO Hypnotherpay was best thing ever for me, it changed the way I was for the better. Never needed pills since, its might be psycological who know, who cares it worked for me end of! :D

Where did you do this at? how much was it?

Just been and bought some st johns wort, so will keep you all updated.

I havent had a real bout of depression for about seventeen years.

But when i did I was on tablets for a few months then I went under the northern general hospital and joined these groups. I found them very helpful esp the cognitive therapy part and the one to one. But really found that to rely on things like this in the long run was wrong. Its you that does it in the end, keep mixing with people and try to find new friends. Even if you dont feel like doing things ,make yourself as the more you practice, the better at it you become. I remember i use to have feelings of depersonalisation nothing seemed real I felt detatched from myself etc , these are all symptoms of depression and by making myself go through the motions of living and meeting people etc these feelings gradually subsided and i became myself again.

Where did you do this at? how much was it?

Just been and bought some st johns wort, so will keep you all updated.

You do have to stop other meds if you move onto St Johns Wort. I have just re-read your first post though and it looks like you may not be giving the tablets long enough to kick in. If you are taking an SSRI then you should really give it 2-4 weeks to kick in as it takes that sort of time to partition across the blood, brain barrier and reach therapeutic levels.

Hi there

you probably know it takes at least 6 weeks for the medication to work.

Having said that, some people swear by fish oil, St John's wort ( no to take with the contraceptive pill!!!) and another one you can get from Hollands and Barretts is 5-HTP... obviously I would speak to a GP first, although mine has never heard of 5 HTP- maybe you could do your own research first?

I found these things out through a book, think it was called " What your doctor may not tell you about anxiety and phobias- although I appreciate that your problem is slightly different, it is quite connected. Plus they might have released one of these books on depression specifically?

I've been taking fluoxetine for several years, and over that time, I have tried to reduce the intake, but have slipped back to how I was feeling earlier on in the treatment. I now only take one a day, which I have been doing for a while now, but I also use a daily dose of will power, to keep confidence levels etc up.

Beg to differ but you don't have to stop all medication with St John's Wort - you need to check with your GP.

When I was bad 18 months ago I was still in bed at 2pm - couldn't face the world. If you're not working its even worse. Way I got better was going on the meds, then I was lucky enough to get a p/t job. It was hard going to work again and for the first 6 months every so often I'd have a panic attack but even now every month I'm getting better.

My counsellor advised me when I got up to write a list of 5 things and tick them off as you do them eg read a chapter of a book, learn how to do Sudoko (it helped me), do a crossword (good uns in Daily Mirror), cut the grass, wash the car. Why don't you post on this site tomorrow and let us know how you've done and we can support you that way! If I can get through it I'm sure you can though I know its hard to get motivated but only you can do it. Come on we're all here to help you.

On the website there's the counsellor I went to see Heather M Curtis. She tells it how it is and if it wasn't for her I don't know where I'd be now.

Beg to differ but you don't have to stop all medication with St John's Wort - you need to check with your GP.

When I was bad 18 months ago I was still in bed at 2pm - couldn't face the world. If you're not working its even worse. Way I got better was going on the meds, then I was lucky enough to get a p/t job. It was hard going to work again and for the first 6 months every so often I'd have a panic attack but even now every month I'm getting better.

My counsellor advised me when I got up to write a list of 5 things and tick them off as you do them eg read a chapter of a book, learn how to do Sudoko (it helped me), do a crossword (good uns in Daily Mirror), cut the grass, wash the car. Why don't you post on this site tomorrow and let us know how you've done and we can support you that way! If I can get through it I'm sure you can though I know its hard to get motivated but only you can do it. Come on we're all here to help you.

On the website there's the counsellor I went to see Heather M Curtis. She tells it how it is and if it wasn't for her I don't know where I'd be now.

The problem is mixing SJW with SSRI antidepressants.

In general, unpleasant side-effects, if you get them, usually start to settle in 7-10 days, but if they are bad a reduced dose or a change of the specific antidepressant may be needed. Yes, they take 5-6 weeks to reach full effect, and for the effect of a dose increase to show up, although some people respond faster than others.

Archived