Depression (again!) - alternative treatments?

Certainly wasn't suggesting that he simply snaps out of it, I don't think medication/councelling is the answer though.

I know, as I have suffered depression in the past. I had to tackle the route cause

"he" is a "she"!!

It's easy to say change job, but no-one would take me on with the current sickness record i have due to this....illness. I can't just pack it in as i have a house to pay for etc.

My feeling is...how do i know for sure what is causing the problem as when i'm suffering, it feels like it's everything. think depression makes things a bit ....foggy.

i'd like to be feeling as near as 100% before i made nay lifechanging decisions etc.

but thanks for your post, it's good to get everyones point of view.

I'm at foxhill mc, so am going to go and see about the things shinyhappypeople mentioned....fingers crossed for me people!:help:

Certainly wasn't suggesting that he simply snaps out of it, I don't think medication/councelling is the answer though.

I know, as I have suffered depression in the past. I had to tackle the route cause

Understand where you're coming from Robby but sometimes the only way to start getting back on your feet is to take medication and then when things seem much better you can think clearer and are then able to make lifestyle changes. That's what I've done and although I'm still on meds my life is 100% better.

What my counsellor said is that you can struggle on for so long (I did for 6 months) trying to sort yourself out but sometimes you need to take what's on offer. I'm on Seroxat and its worked fab for me.

Thats right Robby, pills only help with symptoms of depression, NLP and Hypno dealt with cause. I didnt know what was true cause until I had NLP. I was amazed at findings and when I thought about it all, it was bang right, once I knew what I was dealing with.....I dealt with it. :thumbsup:

"he" is a "she"!!

It's easy to say change job, but no-one would take me on with the current sickness record i have due to this....illness. I can't just pack it in as i have a house to pay for etc.

My feeling is...how do i know for sure what is causing the problem as when i'm suffering, it feels like it's everything. think depression makes things a bit ....foggy.

i'd like to be feeling as near as 100% before i made nay lifechanging decisions etc.

but thanks for your post, it's good to get everyones point of view.

I'm at foxhill mc, so am going to go and see about the things shinyhappypeople mentioned....fingers crossed for me people!:help:

I think thats right attitude to have, its so hard changing jobs etc. in positive frame of mind. Get sorted then everything will fall into place babe. X:thumbsup:

• 5 years later...

I had bad post natal depression with my first child, 43 yrs ago...its never really gone away as i have bouts of it and terrible anxiety.

It spoiled my relationship with my child and i didnt bond with her properly, were ok now but i cant forget that..

Ive had CBT, tablets, SJW, these are ok for a while, but you have to try and help yourself..

I agree with the post telling you to make yourself get out of the house, go for a walk anywhere, talk to people,im fortunate as i live in a village and people are very friendly and chatty..

It will never leave me, but i can ease it doing these things, also meditation and relaxing exercises do help...:)

I can HIGHLY recommend mindfulness as a way of tackling depression. I had depression for over 10 years and the thing that got me out of it was the support of my brilliant partner (you can't have her, she's mine!) and a book called "the mindful way through depression".

Mindfulness is based on meditation but has any religious content removed from it. The idea is that through being more mindful you appreciate the little things more, are more focused on the present moment (rather than the past or the future). When you are more in the moment you find it much harder (sometimes impossible) to be depressed because these feelings are of ten linked to ****ty things that happened in the past or worry about what the future might hold.

The book comes with a great CD as well that walks you through the practice of mindfulness. It does take practise. It isn't a magic bullet but it did allow me to completely change my outlook on life and since then I have had a couple of low moods but never depression and that is about 5 years ago. Mindfulness is completely natural, safe and drug free. The book cost me less than a tenner and transformed my life!

Archived