The Fulwood Inn

Vanbast

I was thinking of taking my dad here tomorrow, but now I am not sure. Has anyone been in the last couple of weeks, and was it awful or ok?

we have been in twice over the last few weeks, dinner times weekeday's quiet, nice food. Tea time, Big mistake, chef obviously can't take the pressure, likes to shout and bawl in a manner like father Jack from the television series Father Ted.. if you dont mind themeal being slightly microwaved and are not to off put by the screaming hissy fit from the kitchen it's quite funny to listen to him and watch the waiting staff running round telling pepole that this dish is off and that dish is off.. I have been told that the three merry lads do very good food, although I have not eaten there personally

I have been told that the three merry lads do very good food, although I have not eaten there personally

The head chef at the Three Merry Lads has officially taken over running the pub.

The food is more often than not, very good. In my experience, it's probably one 'duff' meal in four at the 3ML although I haven't eaten there in over a year - probably longer.

At the Fulwood Inn, it's one 'duff' meal, every other.

We did go for lunch today, so I thought I would report back.

There were 11 of us, including vegetarians, vegans, meat eaters, wheat free and dairy free diets, and children in the party, so we knew it might be difficult suiting everyone, but we all got a really nice meal after a 25 minute wait, which we were happy with, and the waitress even pointed out that as we had an odd number we could order another meal to share free.

There were a couple of minor faults with one or two meals, one was still cold in the middle (sorted out very quickly), and the pastry on a pie was a bit soggy, but on the whole we all enjoyed a tasty meal in nice surroundings, with cheerful, professional service, and only paid £65 in total for 12 meals (including the spare which we shared between us). We will definitely go again.

I have just been today for the first time with my brother and elderly mum. I wasn't aware it was a 'two for one' so that wasn't the reason for going but my mum suggested it as it was easy parking and quite roomy.

The place itself is nicely laid out and very spacious but the food was only just adequate. As my brother said 'I can barely hear myself talk over the pinging of the microwave'

I chose the Sunday roast, as I live on my own I don't bother cooking a roast meal for just me and it was no better than a Findus ( other frozen food manufacturers are available :D)type microwave meal for one. The veg was heated unevenly - some carrots were boiling, others were still chilled and the beef was obviously boil in the bag/microwave. The new potatoes were the oddest colour I have ever seen and the roast potatoes had a very strange texture. The other meals were slightly better. As there were only three of us we decided to ask for the scampi main course to share to get the best of the deal and the stroppy waitress asked if there was a fourth adult as if we were swindling them!

We decided to have desserts and coffee - the coffee arrived first followed by the desserts almost 15 minutes later by which time the coffee was almost cold. I may be strange in liking my coffee AFTER my pud but I don't think so.

I wouldn't go back - for the same money (40 pounds for the three of us with just one round of drinks) I'd prefer to go to a carvery where I can see the meat and help myself to veg.

If you're thinking of going I would go for something that has to be oven cooked or deep fried like the scampi or fish crumble or pie.

How very odd that we had such different experiences one day after each other :o

They should have a standard rule on the extra meal if you have odd numbers, in our case it was the waitress who offered it to us, she even suggested that Chilli Nachos would be a good choice as it is easy to share.

I wonder if they have different staff on different days? I think I will stick to Saturdays, and definitely avoid the Sunday lunches as we were very happy with the meal and service we had yesterday.

• 1 month later...

I was reading this thread with interest earlier as the OH and I were supposed to be eating and staying there tonight. The room was booked over a week ago and OH was told they had 1 room left for tonight. Just as we were about to leave home, they rang to say they were still fully booked and couldn't accommodate us WTF??? :rant:

Unfortunately for them, the OH and I are mystery-shoppers :suspect:, which was the purpose of our visit. Needless to say, our feedback is going to be a little bit on the negative side :nono:

I was reading this thread with interest earlier as the OH and I were supposed to be eating and staying there tonight. The room was booked over a week ago and OH was told they had 1 room left for tonight. Just as we were about to leave home, they rang to say they were still fully booked and couldn't accommodate us WTF??? :rant:

Unfortunately for them, the OH and I are mystery-shoppers :suspect:, which was the purpose of our visit. Needless to say, our feedback is going to be a little bit on the negative side :nono:

Oooo what a fab job, would you point out we have not been back since the shouty chef incident :D

We have been several times since I last wrote, and the verdict is that it is totally variable from week to week. Different staff give a completely different feel to the place each time we go. There is one waitress who is really friendly and who makes the visit a pleasure, and others who seem to really not know what they are doing at all, or who are surly and unfriendly.

The food has been good most times, although each time we visit usually one person out of a party of 9-11 has a disappointment with their meal, while the rest enjoy theirs.

The price is good, it is centrally placed for us all to get to, and so we will carry on going until we have an absolute disaster of a meal, then we will find somewhere else to go.

I do mystery shopping too, but haven't seen this one come up, which company is it with Shazbat? Pm me if you are willing to share ;)

We have been several times since I last wrote, and the verdict is that it is totally variable from week to week. Different staff give a completely different feel to the place each time we go. There is one waitress who is really friendly and who makes the visit a pleasure, and others who seem to really not know what they are doing at all, or who are surly and unfriendly.

The food has been good most times, although each time we visit usually one person out of a party of 9-11 has a disappointment with their meal, while the rest enjoy theirs.

The price is good, it is centrally placed for us all to get to, and so we will carry on going until we have an absolute disaster of a meal, then we will find somewhere else to go.

I do mystery shopping too, but haven't seen this one come up, which company is it with Shazbat? Pm me if you are willing to share ;)

I'm curious. The friendly waitress. Is she the one with the deranged smile who cocks her head to one side as though she's a rare species of Budgie and then stares meaningfully at you as though you can actually see through her head and out the other side where there is a large board telling you she's actually going to run in the back get a meat cleaver and plunge it into your chest. Oh yes she's lovely!:hihi:

Archived