Is a verbal job offer binding?

No unfortunately not. Only a written agreement is binding I'm afraid.

That's what I was told but having searched this on the internet a verbal offer can be binding according to some websites. The difficulty can be proving the offer was made but I can do this.

no its not.

verbal contracts can be pursued in court as binding.i.e to sell or buy something.

all though offering a job and withdrawing is unpleasant it is easy to state that the position is unavailable.

no point having a job offer if the job no longer exists.

No unfortunately not. Only a written agreement is binding I'm afraid.

You sure about that? From what I recall of when I did contract law only contracts in involving the sale of land need be written, pretty much any other mutually agreed form of communication is binding for contracts involving anything else. The main problem with verbal contracts is proving that they were made in the first place, if you can do that I'm pretty sure they are binding.

Even if it is binding, i've no doubt that there will be a probationary period, so you might win a court case to find you're only there for 1 day!

Recently a case in London found that a verbal agreement to exchange stock was binding, apparently the entire financial market depends on that being the case.

The main problem with verbal contracts is proving that they were made in the first place, if you can do that I'm pretty sure they are binding.

Out of interest, how do you go about proving a verbal agreement took place, without say recording the conversation?

Pfifes you've got to ask yourself if this is worth pursuing. Is there any point trying to get a job at a place that doesn't want to employ you? As Cyclone as already said, nearly every work place has a probationary period, in which you are much more likely to be let go.

Out of interest, how do you go about proving a verbal agreement took place, without say recording the conversation?

Pfifes you've got to ask yourself if this is worth pursuing. Is there any point trying to get a job at a place that doesn't want to employ you? As Cyclone as already said, nearly every work place has a probationary period, in which you are much more likely to be let go.

Again, I don't to go into too much detail but I do have written evidence I was appointed. The problem is with the procedures that happened during the recruitment process which emerged later.

Archived