Is a verbal job offer binding?

Again, I don't to go into too much detail but I do have written evidence I was appointed. The problem is with the procedures that happened during the recruitment process which emerged later.

Now i am confused. If its in writing then it's not a verbal agreement, isn't that a contract?

Why don't you contact Citizens Advice. I very much doubt that you would win and like others have said why would you want to work somewhere like that - apart from the fact that you may have resigned from your current position in which case its probably a hard lesson to be learned

Why don't you contact Citizens Advice. I very much doubt that you would win and like others have said why would you want to work somewhere like that - apart from the fact that you may have resigned from your current position in which case its probably a hard lesson to be learned

Just to clarify - it's not that the employer doesn't want to appoint me and is thinking up excuses - it's more complex than that and I don't want to go into detail so please just take my word for it. I'm just trying to find out whether a verbal offer is binding.

Just to clarify - it's not that the employer doesn't want to appoint me and is thinking up excuses - it's more complex than that and I don't want to go into detail so please just take my word for it. I'm just trying to find out whether a verbal offer is binding.

My husband who's got quite a lot recruitment experience says its definitely not binding and that during the first year of employment its easy for an employer to get rid of you.

Out of interest, how do you go about proving a verbal agreement took place, without say recording the conversation?

In the absence of any other evidence I expect both the parties get up on the stand and give their version of events and the court decides where the truth lies.

Cyclone - I don't to go into too much detail but don't I think the probationary period is really an issue in my case.

If they are saying now that they don't want you, then i'd say that it is.

If you force them to hire you, you'll be gone again before you can put a small cactus on your desk.

My husband who's got quite a lot recruitment experience says its definitely not binding and that during the first year of employment its easy for an employer to get rid of you.

To be honest this is my understanding also.

Unless the OP has some concrete recording or written statement from a witness who is willing to testify in a court then a verbal agreements means very very little (if anything).

If the OP wants to pursue it then go for it, I'd be very interested to hear the results but I wouldn't get my hopes up on success is all.

Archived