Neepsend lane - interested in it's history.

Hattersley & Ridge seem to have been careless with their balls.

As a young lad I received a belting from our old boy because of an incident with the above business,every morning on my way to school,late as usual I would pop my head in the time house to see how my schedule was going!.In charge of the time house was a real grumpy old get who only had one arm,as soon as he saw me it was "F off you scruffy little t!"!.Needless to say I replied in the same vein with interest,one morning he ambushed me throwing a heavy stamp hitting me in the stomach hurting me quite a bit!.A couple of days later he was missing so in I went removed all the clocking in cards which I then threw in the River Don,someone must have spotted me because I was pulled out of school by the police and taken to the power station to face my father

who went off his trolley administering his belt to my legs!.This placated the police but I was not too popular with Hattersley & Ridge who had to pay their workers extra because of my revenge action,as a kid anyone who messed with me always received payback,this got me into lots of trouble at the time!,but you live and learn!.:loopy::huh:

As a young lad I received a belting from our old boy because of an incident with the above business,every morning on my way to school,late as usual I would pop my head in the time house to see how my schedule was going!.In charge of the time house was a real grumpy old get who only had one arm,as soon as he saw me it was "F off you scruffy little t!"!.Needless to say I replied in the same vein with interest,one morning he ambushed me throwing a heavy stamp hitting me in the stomach hurting me quite a bit!.A couple of days later he was missing so in I went removed all the clocking in cards which I then threw in the River Don,someone must have spotted me because I was pulled out of school by the police and taken to the power station to face my father

who went off his trolley administering his belt to my legs!.This placated the police but I was not too popular with Hattersley & Ridge who had to pay their workers extra because of my revenge action,as a kid anyone who messed with me always received payback,this got me into lots of trouble at the time!,but you live and learn!.:loopy::huh:

Do you remember the firm that did brass/bronze melting on the watterside other side from Hattersley's and further towards Hillfoot I think.

Hey up Retep I can,t say as I do,next to Hattersley & Ridge on the same side was a factory making scissor blanks,over the road opposite Wilcocksons house was The Old Park Silver Mills,could that be the place?.At the side of there was a long high wall with a gate in,I took this to be a stock yard,thats all I can recall!.By the way how is Mr White is he still wandering round Parkwood talking to himself?

Hey up Retep I can,t say as I do,next to Hattersley & Ridge on the same side was a factory making scissor blanks,over the road opposite Wilcocksons house was The Old Park Silver Mills,could that be the place?.At the side of there was a long high wall with a gate in,I took this to be a stock yard,thats all I can recall!.By the way how is Mr White is he still wandering round Parkwood talking to himself?

It was at the same side as the siiver mills but further towards Hattersley's, I can remember going past probably late fifties and watching the blokes getting scrap bronze figures ready for the melting pot, perhaps it was the stockyard.

Mr White is still walking around Parkwood, he's stopped talking to himself, he's found a friendly tree.

• 2 weeks later...

Alsancak - The shop at the corner of Hicks Street and Percy Street was an off-license run by my father and mother from 1951 to its closure for demolition around 1968. He used to garage his car at the police house which was occupied from the mid/late 1950's by the Manning family. The chippy was Joe's and was actually in Harvest Lane near the junction with Bingley Street. Dad is still going and will be 102 later this year.

• 8 years later...

Resurrecting this old thread, hope someone can help.

There was a brewery on Bardwell Road, on the left going up to the bridge.

Was it a Stones brewery, did the brewery have a name ?

When was it pulled down ? 

Was it replaced by the brewery at the junction of Rutland Road and Neepsend Lane ?

37 minutes ago, Runningman said:

Resurrecting this old thread, hope someone can help.

There was a brewery on Bardwell Road, on the left going up to the bridge.

Was it a Stones brewery, did the brewery have a name ?

When was it pulled down ? 

Was it replaced by the brewery at the junction of Rutland Road and Neepsend Lane ?

Stones -Cannon Brewery- Boyland Street would be the one leading to Rutland Road, Hallamshire Steel and File on Bardwell.

40 minutes ago, retep said:

Stones -Cannon Brewery- Boyland Street would be the one leading to Rutland Road, Hallamshire Steel and File on Bardwell.

Good evening retep and thanks for a prompt reply

Any answers please to my other questions ?

Will look tomorrow, just off to bed

15 hours ago, Runningman said:

Good evening retep and thanks for a prompt reply

Any answers please to my other questions ?

Will look tomorrow, just off to bed

Stones brewery is still there awaiting demolition, the old Crown public house towards the end of Bardwell was pulled down late 50'S early 60's and replaced on the corner of Rutland  Road-Neepsend Lane.

• Like 1

On 13/09/2024 at 15:05, retep said:

Stones brewery is still there awaiting demolition, the old Crown public house towards the end of Bardwell was pulled down late 50'S early 60's and replaced on the corner of Rutland  Road-Neepsend Lane.

A cracking pint of Stones there, too!