Neepsend lane - interested in it's history.

Hi

Reading this thread with interest.

Does anyone know what the raised rectangular structure is in the centre of this picture.

I went to the training centre at the top of Fairfield Rd for a while and we used to wonder what this was. It has steep sides and a flat top. We climbed it one day and had a walk around on it, completley flat, definatley man made.

Anyone know what this is?

Hi

Reading this thread with interest.

Does anyone know what the raised rectangular structure is in the centre of this picture.

I went to the training centre at the top of Fairfield Rd for a while and we used to wonder what this was. It has steep sides and a flat top. We climbed it one day and had a walk around on it, completley flat, definatley man made.

Anyone know what this is?

I presume you mean the Coal Drops with the high brick frontage,

they used to have a link via a bridge to the railway, wagons of coal were tipped in ready for dispersal by road.

You can see the drops better here,

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=53.397695&lon=-1.484924&z=20&r=0&src=msl

Steps leading up to what was Neepsend Station, top of Farfield Road,

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h182/sretep/000_0003.jpg

Bet that stonework was black 30 years ago. :)

You can see those steps on the 1905 map

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/Taidi/Neepsend.jpg

but I imagine the footbridge has long gone.

No it hasn't...thanks for that Flash Earth web site...new to me.

One thing I would never have associated with the area would've been trees. And the mention of a turntable in the old shed has got me puzzled. My grandfather took me around there way back in the 30's, I was about 4 or 5 years old at the time, and I once had a nose around in later years when I worked on the Railway, never do I remember a table.

I'm not saying in any way there wasn't one, I just cant remember. It was like a straight shed with about four roads.

I recall there was a quarry. You could look down into it from Parkwood, very steep, is that where the skiing centre is? I cant think what they were quarrying. The rock was an browny-orange color. They did blasting with explosives and all. Us pre-ASBO's went down into the quarry a couple of times, looking for sticks of dynamite I suppose.

How can I get a copy of that Fairbanks 1795 map?

I remember getting in the shed when it was closed down some of the kids had set up a tarzan swing in there and i'm sure there was what looked like a turntable.

The trees have grown since the Springs went, there were four quarries, one where the ski slope is, the brickyard one off Rutland a small one disused where the allotments were and a small disused one on top of Parkwood towards where the college was.

Parkwood, very steep, is that where the skiing centre is? I cant think what they were quarrying. The rock was an browny-orange color. They did blasting with explosives and all. Us pre-ASBO's went down into the quarry a couple of times, looking for sticks of dynamite I suppose.

There was a brickworks there at one time

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/Taidi/Shed.jpg

That school on Boyland street must have been an aromatic place - what with the brewery and the gas works :D

Interesting photos retep.

BTW - did the trams still use Neepsend lane when you were a lad ? I thought I'd travelled all the old tram routes but don't recall that one.

The trams from town to Wadsley Bridge did go through Neepsend.

They ran from Fitzalan Square down Haymarket, Waingate, Lady's Bridge, Nursery Street, Mobrey Street, Neepsend Lane.

They then re-crossed the Don at Hillfoot Bridge, to join Penistone Road. Then straight through past Owlerton Church and the dog track, The Wednesday ground, passed the end of Claywheel Lane, past the old school, under the railway bridge to a the terminus at the top of the hill somewhere about the start of Halifax Road.

Nursery Street was single track, regulated by very simple traffic lights -from the top of Joiner Street to where the old road widened a little - opposite Hazlewood's flour mill/ Manchester(Harlequin) pub. Remember the front of buildings you see now along Nursery street (on the same side as the church) were all built after 1955 and the fronts are set-back at least 4-5 metres from the original property line.

There was also another single track section along Mobrey Street but Im not exactly sure where it started and ended.

The Wadsley Bridge trams continued to use this route until they were replaced by buses in the mid 1950's. Don't know if buses still run on the Neepsend Lane side of the Don.

Regards