Neepsend lane - interested in it's history.

Looks similar, gas tank in the background gives it away,

here's the tram from the other direction,

Tram No. 272 on Neepsend Lane with Neepsend Steel Tool Corporation Ltd., in the background

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s18232&prevUrl=

We used to travel by tram from Wadsley Bridge to Farfield Road . A group of us used to go upstairs in the bay where we took it in turns to hide one under the seat - covered by the legs of the others - to avoid paying the 1D tram fare . That paid for a 1D. frozen Jubly which we all shared .

That was before the passes of course :hihi:

My Dad, Peter Bartholomew grew up on Hicks Rd in the late 30's/40's/

I lived opposite side of road a.b.c streets Ilived in hobson ave knew your dad did he have a brother my name Dave Brumpton nearly 75

---------- Post added 13-07-2013 at 12:08 ----------

Whilst Parkwood Springs had it's fair share of railway workers, it could hardly be described as a railway workers estate, and Parkwood Springs was in Neepsend.

I lived in the a.b.c streets an old lady in the 1940s told me the area from hillfoot bridge to wardsend cemetery was called rawsons meadows and belonged to her great grandfather who could not read or write and was cheated out of it by a con man who got him to sign a paper he could not read

I lived opposite side of road a.b.c streets Ilived in hobson ave knew your dad did he have a brother my name Dave Brumpton nearly 75

I lived in the a.b.c streets an old lady in the 1940s told me the area from hillfoot bridge to wardsend cemetery was called rawsons meadows and belonged to her great grandfather who could not read or write and was cheated out of it by a con man who got him to sign a paper he could not read

Having lived at Parkwood Springs , I think I did say somewhere that our address was Neepsend .

Hi Falls

I note ur family lived in Neepsend in the early part of the 20C

So did mine

I have exstensive info

re

Harvest lane

Dutch Street

Mowbray Street

Apple Street

orchard Street

all gray family but also census info 1850-1910

Darren

Hi Falls

So did mine

I have exstensive info

re

Harvest lane

Dutch Street

Mowbray Street

Apple Street

orchard Street

Darren

My Dad and his parents/grandparents lived just off Apple street on Stancer Street,Grandad was Frank Cooper he had a sweet shop at no1.he was also a joiner at the Empire theatre.

The same happened to in my family way back . My great grandfather Wigfull was the owner of the Wigfull flour mills on Nursery street . Though he was good enough to start up the business , he lost it to some unscrupulous so and so because he could not red or write .

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...
---- Hi freeshia, i couldn't remember the streets or roads but

we had good nights in stag, the very last night in there i remember

Dave clark five record playing, Glad all over whiched we danced to

and a Frank Ifields song, i remember you.

Do you remember these good old 60s:roll:

Was this around 1965? Im researching a book on Sheffield pubs and I'm looking for info/ pics etc. pm or email me sheffieldpubs@outlook.com if you have any info you wish to share

• 4 months later...
Hi Falls

So did mine

I have exstensive info

re

Harvest lane

Dutch Street

Mowbray Street

Apple Street

orchard Street

Darren

Do you have any information about my family that lived in those areas? I think my Dad's Smith family lived in Apple Street as well as near the gasworks in Neepsend and that his Grandma Smith had a shop near the gasworks that was badly damaged during the blitz. Also the Storey family who lived in or near Apple Street.