Hurfield secondary modern school

gillmarx

I went to Hurlfield Secondary modern from 1960 to 1964. I remember when I was 13 years old that one of our class mates died . I believe his name was Roy Norton. The class went to his funeral at City Road Cemetery. have I got his name right or was it another name? Can anyone remember?

Roy Noton died 4th. Jan. 1962 aged 12. He lived on Duke St. His Mother and Father had a fruit/veg shop below Red Lion.by the way is that Mick Justice?

I was at Hurlfield with you and Manor Lane before that , Alan Smith mate.

• 2 weeks later...

to miffa 49----dont think our paths ever crossed---as I left in 59--but in our class was a lad called Ashley Peach--whose parents had (I think) a grogery shop below the Red Lion (now shut)--always remember seeing their name above door for years after I left school as I sat on the 95 along Duke St and City Road---just a co-incidence about the lad who died I thought

anyone out there remember 1964/68

Yes l do,l remember our washing disappearing in 1964, it was put down to the schoolboys, being as they were mostly boys jeans l had just finished building my first house bottom of Woodland rd next to the bridge, alls well that ends well. A Merry Christmas to you. Arfer Mo

to miffa 49----dont think our paths ever crossed---as I left in 59--but in our class was a lad called Ashley Peach--whose parents had (I think) a grogery shop below the Red Lion (now shut)--always remember seeing their name above door for years after I left school as I sat on the 95 along Duke St and City Road---just a co-incidence about the lad who died I thought

As you say our paths never crossed but I can assure you that Roy Noten lived

with his parents at the fruit & veg shop.He was at Manor Lane School and went up to Hurlfield with myself and many others.My aunt and uncle lived

at the back of the old doctors surgery on Dacre Street, my aunt was a friend of Roy's mother and I played with him many a Saturday morning as a nipper.

Strange how things turn out mate isn't it?

• 5 months later...

:hihi:I remember Mr Jenkins, Mr Turton, Mr Chatterton, Mr White, Eric and Peter hartley. Was in Mr peter and Eric Hartleys class last two years of me being at hurlfield. Did Drama with Meg and fencing with Eric after school 1973 / 76 . Does anyone remember me Jackie Manuel nee Ball 1969 / 76. I was very shy and quiet and I was in Mr Wards class C4 I believe. N yes also remember Mrs Brennan typing class top floor right hand corner. Found out just recently Mr Brodie died two years ago of Heart attack at Manchester Airport.:wave:later jackie

---------- Post added 03-06-2013 at 19:56 ----------

Acman:hihi: I went to the youth club as well. did drama on a monday I think, fencing Tuesday, Spent most nights standing in a corner on me own as I was too shy to join in the crowd.Sue wainwright, Rodney cottom Marcia Newton, Lynn fletcher, Glynis Mason, John Burke, Neil Sissons, Ian Parkin, David Parker to name a few. n Katherine Harvey rings a bell. but cant place the face.:wave:

---------- Post added 03-06-2013 at 20:17 ----------

:hihi:I remember Miss Hebblethwaite. yes she did take took RE, She got married then left about 6 months later. Took part in one or two swimathons Didnt win though was beaten by Lynne Fletcher. Think I came 4th may have been last but that was a long time ago. These days I 'm not as shy as I used to be. Finally Had a nose job in 2006. you might remember me as Jackie Ball. :wave:

• 2 months later...
Hi I am still wanting to make contact with boys who went to Hurlfield 61 to 65 come on lets have a reunion.

Was there 61 to 66. No longer in Sheffield but would make the trip.

Posted some comments early in this thread.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Hurlfield between 1971-76 it was great, as a boy we had to put up with RollerMania (Anyone remember that?), Donny Osmond, David Cassidy etc.

Our teacher was Mrs Ashberry, great teacher, she had to put up with a lot of rowdy kids. She had an husband called Keith and a daughter called Katie, regards to them.

The Sing A Long and Doozie in the youth centre took a lot of my sixpences in the dinner hour (Thoroughly enjoyed it), I was not exactly a Pinball Wizard.

And boy do I remember Ms Woof, she was stunning, her first name was Vivian if I'm not mistaken. She ought to have an appreciation society, she gave so many boys the first look at a real babe.:)

• 1 month later...
I think Harry Whitehouse should be on the list and believe he took that 4B class for Drama?? Also didn't we have a guy called something like Peter D'oyle Carter for lesson in English??

Also on the boys list I think maybe Jim Otley, David Bates, Tony Wragg, Graham Crump, Roy Rastrick, Terry Dobson, David Beard also a lad called...Robinson? I stand corrected if some of these lads were in other level 4 classes. Sad to here about Roger he was a good guy and befriended me, as I only did years 3 and 4 at Hurlfield which could be a tough age to enter a new school!

Lastly one of our year has posted a photo of the class on Friends Reunited ...would love to know if anybody can name the lads on the photo especially the back row!!

I know one English teacher Turton .

• 6 months later...

i was there 63/68 i remember turton and greenoff, i met the later in our lodge a few year ago, and reminded him joking that he had given me the slipper lol, we also recalled when that lovely deputy or head teacher arrived forget her name, she was a real stunner, he told most of the male staff were stuck too