Radio Music for Schools/50's

I remember musical radio programmes at school in the 60's called 'Time and Tune'.

Yes, I'll second that but can't add any details.

On reflection, this must have started in the 50's as it coincided with my Junior education.

A further reflection as suggested by the title; wasn't it a programme where they introduced different rhythms by getting pupils to clap eg ta-ta-tafa-teffi and possibly pitching notes and singing scales?

There may have been a shortage of qualified music teachers in Junior Schools at that time and perhaps this was seen as the solution?

Hi

I dont think Burgoyne Rd School ever had the luxury of a qualified Music teacher.The only concession to speciality was an Art teacher.Form teachers in the juniors taught everything else.

I left at 11 but the pupils who went on to Seniors went to other places for Cookery and Woodwork .Everyone envied the last class of the Seniors.No academic work seemed to be done,the girls in particular use to run errands for the teachers and make them endless cups of tea.

It was such a waste of potential but I dont remember anyone leaving school not being able to read or write

Yes, I'll second that but can't add any details.

On reflection, this must have started in the 50's as it coincided with my Junior education.

A further reflection as suggested by the title; wasn't it a programme where they introduced different rhythms by getting pupils to clap eg ta-ta-tafa-teffi and possibly pitching notes and singing scales?

There may have been a shortage of qualified music teachers in Junior Schools at that time and perhaps this was seen as the solution?

I think you are right - but I can't find any links for it !

Archived