Seven Hills Of Sheffield?

Starting in the west of Sheffield and going anti-clockwise to the highest point between two valleys.

Loxley Common (Highest point between the River Don and the River Loxley )

Stannington (Highest point between the River Loxley and the River Rivelin.

Hallam Head/Lodgemoor (Highest point between River Rivelin and the River Porter)

Ringinglow (Highest point between River Porter and River Sheaf)

Norton (Highest point to the east of Sheffield between the River Sheaf and the River Don?)

Shirecliffe 174m 350896

Wincobank 161m 377910

Requires further consideration though.

Originally posted by Grahame

Norton and Mannor Top are on the same hill. (I don't think there is a valley between them)

Manor Top to Norton requires a gentle but appreciable dip down Ridgeway and back up, steeply, again to Gleadless Townend (White Lane) before levelling out and onwards to Norton. Two hills on the same ridge line.

Directly from Manor to Norton you would need to drop into Gleadless Valley. Two hills completely.

Manor Top to Norton requires a gentle but appreciable dip down Ridgeway and back up, steeply, again to Gleadless Townend (White Lane) before levelling out and onwards to Norton.

That's right, but all hillsides have undulations? Perhaps the hill top should be Gleedless Townend?

That's right, but all hillsides have undulations? Perhaps the hill top should be Gleedless Townend?

Now you've said that, I am now thinking Herdings....but that wasn't in Sheffield till the 60's .......... was it?:confused:

Got to be careful here because the Meersbrook was the Derbyshire boundary and Herdings is mighty close. That would rule out Norton because now I come to think of it Norton was in Derbyshire?

That would reinstate the Mannor or even Darnal which is definatly part of old Sheffield and High Hazels Park has good views for miles around.

Mind you I think the Mannor is higher and it is a Sheffield Hill?

Mannor Lodge remember? That was Sheffield wasn't it?

My brain is ticking over with this, and I was just wondering if it might be easier to identify seven VALLEYS radiating from the city centre and then search between these valleys - outwards - for possible hills within the old town limits.

The six valleys I can identify are:

DON (entering from the north west),

DON (Lower Don Valley)

LOXLEY

RIVELIN

PORTER

SHEAF

Is there a seventh? There must be, for there to be seven hills between.

That is what I did saxon and the places I mentioned are on the hills between the valleys of which you speak.

The shortfall is made up with Wincobank Hill and Shirecliffe.

Loxley Common (Highest point between the River Don and the River Loxley )

Stannington (Highest point between the River Loxley and the River Rivelin.

Hallam Head/Lodgemoor (Highest point between River Rivelin and the River Porter)

Ringinglow (Highest point between River Porter and River Sheaf)

Norton (Highest point to the east of Sheffield between the River Sheaf and the River Don?)

Shirecliffe 174m 350896

Wincobank 161m 377910

P.S. Norton needs changing to the Mannor or somewhere near it.

P.S. Norton needs changing to the Mannor or somewhere near it.

Arbourthorne, top of East Bank Rd maybe? If you remove the buildings and look at the lie of the land, I think that the Manor Top bit is downhill of here.

Archived