Seven Hills Of Sheffield?

I didn't know about that site, but that confirms we are within the Sheffield Boundry and speaking personally I think we have it right, some of those places are a lot lower.

Signing off for now, speak to you again.

Graham.

P.S. That site has Derbyshire Lane and that was in Derbyshire. I think there are other mistakes as well. We will come back to it again. That was good.

Cheers.

Having looked at the map, it appears that the southern boundary of Sheff was from Manor Top, through Norfolk Park [a possible contender?] and on to Abbey Lane area.

Herdings [and the source of the Meersbrook], Gleadless Townend and Norton were way outside the city limits.

This would make the highest points to the south:

a: Top of East Bank Rd - Norfolk Park/Arbourthorne?

across the valley to-

b: Meersbrook Park/Derbyshire Lane area?

across the next valley to-

c: Ecclesall Church area/Bents Green?

I am very impressed with your knowledge of the Sheffield boundary changes. We often talk at work about this and how Sheffield used to be in the West Riding and those who lived on Colly Road for example paid their rent to Wortley Rural Council and those who lived on Deerlands Avenue paid their rent to Sheffield Council. (And, showing my age I can remember this and the boundary change happening.)

Anyway back to the main issue if I may. At the time of George Orewell the stage coach would have been the main mode of transport and even the horse drawn bus? The reason for my comment is that stage coaches went along the valley bottoms because they couldn't manage the hills, so when the traveller arrived near what we call Victoria Quays near Park Square roundabout, if they had looked up they would have seen a massive hill up City Road that went to Mannor Top.

Yesterday we were talking about the Meersbrook being the boundary and if the traveller had for example gone up Gleedless Road, they would have found themselves at Gleedless Townend which is roughly the highest point. Turning left would take them to the Mannor and continuing on would bring them to the River Don as it flows northward giving us our final hill as we discussed yesterday. How do you feel about this and can I ask what you think?

Originally posted by max

No, Kinder Scout is.

I'm sure I walked up Kinder Scout a couple of years ago with some friends. Is that the one near Hope with all the peat bogs at the top? Either way it was great fun. :D

Whether or not George Orwell was quoting an earlier writer when he spoke of the seven hills of Sheffield I do not know but the fact remains I keep being reminded of Sheffield in medieval England. At this time the town extended only between the castle and the Cathedral on High Street. Later the boundary extended to Western Bank but this is still a far cry from the extended boundaries of George Orwell’s day and even more so today. For this reason I have tried to keep within three miles of the city center. Please let me know what you think, especially Jon, saxon51 and all those who have done so much work in this field. Thank you all.

WINCOBANK HILL

Summit: Fort, 160 metres.

SHIRECLIFFE

Summit: Shirecliffe, 170 metres.

Foothills: Spital Hill, Woodside, Firshill.

STUDFIELD HILL

Summit: Loxley Common, 239 metres.

Foothills: Boulder Hill.

LIBERTY HILL

Summit: Knowle Top (Top of Spout Lane). 213 metres.

TAPTON HILL

Summit: Hallam Head, 295 metres.

Foothills: Sale Hill, Broomhill, Brookhill.

DOBBIN HILL

Summit: "Hill Top" Bents Green (due to the 3 miles limit). 246 metres.

PARK HILL

Summit: Elm Tree Hill (Manor Top). 200 metres approx.

In the massive Deer Park surrounding Manor Lodge, deer were counted by the thousand. Along "Park Hill," between Manor Lodge and the Castle was a great avenue of walnut trees.

Originally posted by Grahame

WINCOBANK HILL

Summit: Fort, 160 metres.

Outside Sheffield before 1900

SHIRECLIFFE

Summit: Shirecliffe, 170 metres.

Foothills: Spital Hill, Woodside, Firshill.

Inside Sheffield since Medaeval times as Brightside Bierlow

STUDFIELD HILL

Summit: Loxley Common, 239 metres.

Foothills: Boulder Hill.

Outside Sheffield before 1974

LIBERTY HILL

Summit: Knowle Top (Top of Spout Lane). 213 metres.

Outside Sheffield before 1974

TAPTON HILL

Summit: Hallam Head, 295 metres.

Foothills: Sale Hill, Broomhill, Brookhill.

Inside Sheffield since Medeval times as Upper Hallam

DOBBIN HILL

Summit: "Hill Top" Bents Green (due to the 3 miles limit). 246 metres.

Inside Sheffield since Medaeval times as Ecclesall Bierlow

PARK HILL

Summit: Elm Tree Hill (Manor Top). 200 metres approx.

Inside Sheffield since Medeval times as Sheffield Township.

Thank you for the feedback Jon. So there are three hills that were outside early Sheffield and we need to replace them. Have you any ideas yourself?

By the way, I have been to Wicker Arches today to try and find the plaque that someone mentioned. They said it told where the seven hills were. Can anyone shed any light on this please?

I have just found this post again by BoppinBruce.

Surprised nobody has mentioned the monument to the 7 hills, just under the Wicker Arches on Chas Clarkes, now, and I think it is a shame, forecourt.

I'm busy this weekend, is it possible someone may be going that way?

Archived