Seven Hills Of Sheffield?

• 2 months later...

I have been to the library today and this is what they have on the Seven Hills.

In 1989the book “Sheffield Today” by H.D. Watts, P.A. Smithson, P.E. White included a map on page 42 which identified the seven hills as:

1. Stannington Ridge.

2. Loxley Ridge.

3. Shirecliffe (Pitsmoor Ridge)

4. Norfolk Park Ridge.

5. Greenhill Ridge

6. Ecclesall Ridge

7. Hallam Ridge.

The “Seven Hills” is rather fanciful and this list need not be accepted as authoritive.

In 1991 during the preparation for the World Student Games it was announced in the Star 19 July 1991 that the organisers hoped to set bonfires ablaze on Sheffield’s seven hills as the Games flame was lit at the Don Valley Stadium on 14 July.

A phone call to the Recreation Dept. resulted in the following initial list mainly based around the rivers.

1. Loxley/Wadsley Common

2. Stannington

3. Crookes

4. Greystones/Ringinglow

5. Norton/Gleedless

6. Wincobank

7. Shirecliffe

The Recreation Dept. said that one of the bonfires would be at Fox Lane Birley. This was a political decision.

Other hills which may have qualified were in the Meersbrook, Skyedge, Norfolk Park areas. They admitted that licence had to be exercised to fit the stereotype of “Seven Hills.”

In the absence of a definitive list is it possible to take a fresh look and see if anything can be worked out? The World Student Games struck a chord for me, and it must be possible to find seven promontories that can be seen from the top of the town Hall (Vulcan) that would provide the setting for a ring of fire around the city centre if all beacons were lit at the same time? What do people think?

Some of these places are outside the early Sheffield boundary unfortunately:

WINCOBANK HILL. Outside Sheffield before 1900

LOXLEY COMMON. Outside Sheffield before 1974

STANNINGTON. Outside Sheffield before 1974

Places that were in Sheffield are:

SHIRECLIFFE. Inside Sheffield since Medaeval times as Brightside Bierlow

HALLAM HEAD. Inside Sheffield since Medeval times as Upper Hallam.

RININGLOW. Inside Sheffield since Medaeval times as Ecclesall Bierlow.

MANNOR TOP. Inside Sheffield since Medeval times as Sheffield Township.

This leaves perhaps

Crookes (Bole Hills or the top of Lydgate Lane which is seen from further away?), Skyedge, and Handsworth Hill, (High Hazles Park) Darnall. These would make seven. Any suggestions anyone.

These are the roads in Sheffield with "Hill" in their name for referance.

Acorn Hill

Acres Hill Lane

Acres Hill Road

Alms Hill Crescent

Bakers Hill

Beaver Hill Road

Beech Hill Road

Bent Hills Lane

Bishop Hill

Bocking Hill

Bole Hill Road

Bolehill Lane

Bracken Hill

Bramshill Close

Bramshill Court

Bridge Hill

Brincliffe Hill

Brook Hill

Brookhouse Hill

Brown Hills Lane

Burnt Hill Lane

Butchill Avenue

Button Hill

Butts Hill

Canyards Hills Lane

Carsick Hill Crescent

Charlton Hill Rise

Churchill Road

Cinder Hill Lane

Cinderhill Lane

Cleeve Hill Gardens

Cliffe Hill

Coisley Hill

CoIdwell Hill

Cowley Hill

Cross Hill

Cross Hill Close

Daniel Hill

Dobbin Hill

Don Hill Height

Edgehill Road

Firshill Avenue

Firshill Close

Firshill Road

Forge Hill

Fort Hill Road

Fox Hill

Fox Hill Avenue

Frank Hillock Field

Furnace Hill

Greenhill Avenue

Greenhill Road

Hagg Hill

Hagg Hill Lane

Hall Park Hill

Hare Hills Lane

Harthill Road

Hill Close

Hill Crest Road

Hill Street

Hill Top Crescent

Hill Top Drive

Hill Turrets Close

Hilicote Close

Hillcote Mews

Hillcote Rise

Hillcrest Drive

Hillcrest Rise

Hillcrest Road

Hillfoot Bridge

Hillfoot Road

Hills Road

Hillside

Hillside Avenue

Hunter Hill Road

Keeton’S Hill

Kilton Hill

Lamb Hill

Lamb Hill Close

Larch Hill

Liberty Hill

Midhill Road

Nanny Hill

Norfolk Hill

Normanton Hill

North Hill Road

Oak Hill Road

Ox Hill

Pole Hill

Pond Hill

Potter Hill Lane

Primrose Hill

Quarry Hill

Red Hill

Richmond Hill Road

Ridgehill Avenue

Rodney Hill

Roper Hill

Rose Hill

Ryhill Drive

Sale Hill

Sheephill Road

Shude Hill

Silver Hill Road

Skew Hill

Snig Hill

Snow Hill

Southey Hill

Spinkhill Avenue

Spinkhill Drive

Spoonhill Road

Spring Hill

Spring Hill Road

Stake Hill Road

Starnhill Close

Stephen Hill

Stephen Hill Road

Stocks Hill

Studfield Hill

Tapton Hill Road

Thompson Hill

Twitchill Drive

Ughill Road

Underhill Lane

Upwell Hill

Vaughton Hill

West Hill Lane

Wind Hill Lane

Winding Hill Lane

Windmill Hill Lane

Woodbourn Hill

Wright’S Hill

• 3 years later...

sorry for coming into this late, i know i have a book somewhere on the english civil wars, which has a large section on sheffield and john brights regt, in which it quoted from a manuscript - "sheaffeld and its seven hills" - so that means the saying would go back to the 1640's at least, and would probably be the hills as seen from the castle or the boundaries as laid at the time :)

so , find someone to stand on top of castle market and see which seven most prominent hills are visible :hihi: as this would have been the central point of a drawn map of the town at the time,and being as sheffield was a garrison town , i would think the boundaries were'nt as wide as they aree now :confused:

oh, and wincobank is definatly one of the seven as its one of the oldest settlements listed in the area alongside templebro in rotherham.

i believe that either stannington / loxley was also known as one, unfortunatly eveyone from different sides of the city has a view, but the easiest way would be to find what the areas/ boundaries were in the doomsday book and work from there upwards

Andy

sorry for coming into this late, i know i have a book somewhere on the english civil wars, which has a large section on sheffield and john brights regt, in which it quoted from a manuscript - "sheaffeld and its seven hills" - so that means the saying would go back to the 1640's at least, and would probably be the hills as seen from the castle or the boundaries as laid at the time :)

so , find someone to stand on top of castle market and see which seven most prominent hills are visible :hihi: as this would have been the central point of a drawn map of the town at the time,and being as sheffield was a garrison town , i would think the boundaries were'nt as wide as they aree now :confused:

oh, and wincobank is definatly one of the seven as its one of the oldest settlements listed in the area alongside templebro in rotherham.

i believe that either stannington / loxley was also known as one, unfortunatly eveyone from different sides of the city has a view, but the easiest way would be to find what the areas/ boundaries were in the doomsday book and work from there upwards

Andy

I didn't know that about John Bright and the mention of seven hills. That's interesting.

I reckon you are right as well when you say for someone to stand on the roof of Castle Market because that is where the castle was and I reckon you could have surveyed the whole of Sheffield from there which only went up to the the old university just past Brook Hill Roundabout.

Thinking about it now I reckon that from the old castle you would have seen Parkwood Springs, Sky Edge on Mannor Lane, Crookesmoor, you might have seen Darnall, Wincobank, and looking along the Moor to the right we would have seen Sharrow and Psalter Lane rising up, and that leaves one more. How about Spital Hill?

Archived