Lack of a 'Gay Scene' in Rotherham.

Tyranna

Just a quick one about the lack of any real venues/scene for Lesbians/Gays/Bi/Trans in Rotherham.

In spite of its size, and mainly due to its proximity to Sheffield, there has never been a proper sustained 'scene' of regular venues/'gay' nights in Rotherham town Centre. However, there have been many brave attempts to get 'gay' or 'gay-friendly' venues and events started up, and it is not for want of potential customers, as many of my friends on the 'gay scene' in Sheffield are actually from Rotherham.

Just a few days ago, I visited a couple of venues in Rotherham town centre, who had both been interested earlier in the year in staging some kind of 'gay night', something which Rotherham has not had since the last regular event, 'Tickle Me Pink' at Studio, ceased to run just before Christmas.

One of the venues said that 'there wasn't really the call for it' -i.e. enough customers just weren't there to make it viable, and the other said that they had tried a one-off around April, but had to 'keep quiet' about it because the venue's owners probably wouldn't approve.

About 3 years ago, there were actually a couple of 'Gay' venues in Rotherham, including a proper 'cabaret' Bar, but these closed when the owner 'did a runner' to avoid tax. A great shame, and it seems ever since, the Rotherham LGBT crowd has had really no alternative to trekking into Sheffield, and paying at least £12 for a taxi back, something which not everyone can afford each weekend.

Because of the current lack of any proper 'Gay' Scene or venue in Rotherham, I am still keen on contacting interested people in trying to get something going, perhaps just once a month, but that will be a start.

Are there any venues which might be seriously interested in organising something like this, as it could prove to be a sound business idea, but only if it doesen't take a great amount of difficulty or extra costs to organise.

Anyone interested can email me at dan@alacroart.com (If you do PM me through the Forum, my mailbox is very full and is rarely emptied).

I would be grateful for any help/suggestions/ideas in setting something up for the LGBT crowd in Rotherham!

Unfortunately 'gay nights' in general are just an attempt at making money on an otherwise quiet night and are usually a joke.

Agreed, also once the venue has made enough money they cancel the "gay night", remember when that club next to Fuel used to have a gay night on Thursday, once it got refurbished they soon put a stop to that.

Supply and demand drives any business.

If you know a load of people that want a gay venue find a place you like and make it into a gay bar yourselves just by going there in large numbers.

If it sells the drinks the manager will be very happy about it regardless of any personal feeling he may have about gay people one way or the other.

If there is the trade the manager will tailor the bar to suit his customers needs and wants and that may well include entertainment that would be appealing to a gay audience if such a thing exists. (mot being gay or knowing many gays I'm unsure).

Same goes for me. If someone wanted a regular disco at a gay venue I would have little care about the nature of the night but would care about making the money.

Business is business so make it good business and it will happen.

Complaining on a forum does nothing.

Organising a gay meet (not meat :D) using this or any other forum may well help.

• 5 years later...

Thanks ever so much, Parislilley, for rediscovering this thread, as I know that it is still VERY relevant, as there has been no proper regular gay night in Roth since 'Tickle Me Pink' ended.

However, the good news is that the first ROTHERHAM PRIDE is planned for this June; it will be a kind of large 'picnic-style' event in Clifton Park, and there will be some form of entertainment, though don't expect dance tents and big stages with loud music.

I'll keep you all posted on Roth Pride as and when things develop in this thread.

Thanks ever so much, Parislilley, for rediscovering this thread, as I know that it is still VERY relevant, as there has been no proper regular gay night in Roth since 'Tickle Me Pink' ended.

However, the good news is that the first ROTHERHAM PRIDE is planned for this June; it will be a kind of large 'picnic-style' event in Clifton Park, and there will be some form of entertainment, though don't expect dance tents and big stages with loud music.

I'll keep you all posted on Roth Pride as and when things develop in this thread.

Will you be performing there Tyranne? Its just a short jaunt from Sheffield is't it so I can get out and support it and support you too :love:

Archived