Memories of the Past

hazel

Originally posted by sweetdexter

You are correct Peter James.

She had another claim to fame but I am dammed if I can think of it

Erm..? are you being serious?

(lol)

She played "Ena Sharples", with an awful hairnet, on "Corro" for donkeys years.

PT

Originally posted by mojoworking

Isn't it Chitterling and bag? I've no idea what the "bag" was, but chitterlings (known in the USA as "chitlins") are pigs innards of some description

An old pal of mine did his apprenticeship as a pork butcher and he did once explain to me what part of a pig's anatomy this came from. Sadly I can't now remember but have remembered my resolve never, ever to eat it ;)

Originally posted by Greybeard

An old pal of mine did his apprenticeship as a pork butcher and he did once explain to me what part of a pig's anatomy this came from. Sadly I can't now remember but have remembered my resolve never, ever to eat it ;)

hiya Greybeard, you don't know what you are missing, the "Bag "

is the pigs stomach. It's lovely with salt and vinegar and a couple of slices of bread and butter, just try a little it's best bought from a butchers such as Beres or another pork butchers.

deecee

Originally posted by deecee

hiya Greybeard, you don't know what you are missing, the "Bag "

is the pigs stomach. It's lovely with salt and vinegar and a couple of slices of bread and butter, just try a little it's best bought from a butchers such as Beres or another pork butchers.

deecee

Thanks for the info, - but I'll still pass.

Makes me wonder what your stomach thinks when it finds it has to digest the stomach of another animal....which of this lot is me and which is "dinner" ? :suspect::D

• 1 month later...

I' been watching Miss Marples a lot over Xmas and lots of things from the past jogged my memory buds..Like Telegram Boys on there red BSA Bantams..if anyone got a Telegram it was always bad news..and Children asking if they could leave the table,P's and Q's.. Austin Princess Limo's..Boys playing with toy soldiers..The Milk cart pulled by horse..Policemen blowing whistles to comunicate..and Dick, Jock and Snowy on the Radio..

The Light Program and the Home service..and the football results on Saturday Night...Horice Bachelor on luxemberg flogging his method of winng the pools..and Tommy Sleel Singing "Butterfly". I could go on and on "The wife say' I do".

And listening to the 9 o clock news during the war, which we all had to be silent for before my dad went on night shift.

People who came to the door lugging suitcases out of which they sold goods.

The smell of the coalfire when just lit.

Cold feet on linolium when you went off the pegged rag rug and the nights spent cutting and pegging the new rug to replace the old one.

The sheer delight of getting the long white official envelope through the letterbox which said you had won a scholarship.

Being on National Assistance when my dad was blinded in a steel works accident.

Being the only child at High School on free dinners.

Seeing my dad with a white Stick.

Some good memories some bad.

Hazel

Originally posted by Greybeard

Thanks for the info, - but I'll still pass.

Makes me wonder what your stomach thinks when it finds it has to digest the stomach of another animal....which of this lot is me and which is "dinner" ? :suspect::D

You just don't know what you're missing. if a local butcher sells it, ask him to cut you a small piece and try it. It's no different to eating tripe.

we also use to eat udder. Use to be favourite Saturday night tea, Bag, tripe or udder, bought from the Castle Market each served with vinegar, salt and white pepper, with bread and butter.

regards

Tazz

Archived