Memories of the Past

hazel

Guest poppins
Originally posted by kirky

i remember shuffleing round a packed castle market with mi mam on a saturday..i used to hate it but i put up with it coz i used to get a small plate of cockles:D :D how come the place is never that busy these days:confused: :confused: :confused:

Those cockles were great, soaked in vineger, they never washed the plates, just filled them up for the next person, didn't do any body any harm back then, place would get closed down if they did that now a days.

Oh! those good old days !

i remember shuffleing round a packed castle market with mi mam on a saturday..i used to hate it but i put up with it coz i used to get a small plate of cockles:D :D how come the place is never that busy these days:confused: :confused: :confused:

:( there's only two stalls left in the castle market that sells shell fish and the like,even the tripe stall has closed down,in fact i don't know why they just don't close the place all together,i mean have you visited barnsley,rotherham or leeds markets, out of this world,wonderfull friendly people,not like the castle market wollers! :rant:

Originally posted by fridgeman

:( there's only two stalls left in the castle market that sells shell fish and the like,even the tripe stall has closed down,in fact i don't know why they just don't close the place all together,i mean have you visited barnsley,rotherham or leeds markets, out of this world,wonderfull friendly people,not like the castle market wollers! :rant:

I am a big lover of indoor food markets, and have some fond memories of Castle Market (cockles included!!) but the last time Ivisited (last summer) I could have wept - stalls closed and no 'life' to it.

I hate to say this as a staunch Sheffielder, but I agree with fridgeman - not long ago visted the market in Leeds and it was just how I remember Sheffield used to be - with that special atmosphere only indoor markets can bring.

I have been away from Sheffield nearly twenty years now - what happened??

Docmel ,

I'm afraid what's happened is that the Powers-That-Be , who have variously been running Sheffield for the past 20 years or more , have no idea what goes to make a city , a real city.

They've spent a hell of a lot of money on different prestige affairs and neglected the "bread and butter" things that make a good city. I , like you , left Sheffield 25 years ago and I still have fond memories of it. Like you , I criticise what's being done [or not done ! ] from a position of affection for Sheffield , not hatred.

A good few of us on S.F. have also pointed out how Sheffield seems more and more like a grim East European city , circa 1985 , but we're always told how wonderful Sheffield is and how the Council are doing their utmost.....etc.....

Ostriches , in my opinion !

So that's why someone said you look like a prawn :D

I hated the damned things, especially if you got some sand to crunch on, but the boiled ham sandwiches from the stall opposite were to die for :thumbsup:

MEMORIES MEMORIES

Anyone remember going caroling with a lit candle in a jam-jar,

with a piece of string tied round the top to carry it with or do the kids still do it?? Used to enjoy it and got a bit of spending money for it, though to be honest l dont think they paid me for my singing but rather to get rid of me. Used to get the odd mince pie too.

Kiwi:--

We used to do some genuine Carol singing , as kids , but when we got to about 14 or 15 we used to go mainly to be with the girls in our gang , in the dark.

We used to go round Victoria Road , Broomhill-----plenty of shrubbery round the gardens there !

If you'd have said to the girls , " Coming for a walk ?"

they'd probably refuse but Carol singing gave everyone a good reason to be roaming round in secluded areas , in the dark.

• 4 weeks later...

Way back........

I'm talking about Hide and Seek in the park.

The corner shop.

Hopscotch.

Butterscotch.

Skipping.

Handstands.

Football with an old can.

Marbles

Roly Poly.

Hula Hoops,

The smell of the sun and fresh cut grass.

Bubble gum.

An ice cream cone on a warm summer's night from the van that plays a tune - Chocolate or vanilla or strawberry or maybe Neapolitan or perhaps a screwball ice cream!

Watching Saturday morning cartoons....short commercials,

Buses where you knew the name of the driver and he yours

Banana Splits, Road Runner, He-Man, and staying up for Doctor Who.

When around the corner seemed far away and going into town seemed like going somewhere.

Earwigs, wasps, stinging nettles and bee stings.

Sticky fingers.

Cops and Robbers, Cowboys and Indians, and Zorro.

Climbing trees.

Walking to school, no matter what the weather.

Running till you were out of breath and getting a stitch, laughing so hard that your stomach hurt. Jumping on the bed. Pillow fights. Spinning

around, getting dizzy and falling down was cause for giggles. Being tired from playing....remember that?

The worst embarrassment was being picked last for a team.

Water balloons were the ultimate weapon & playing cards & pegs in the spokes transformed any bike into a motorcycle.

I'm not finished just yet.....

Eating raw jelly. Red ice blocks.

Remember when...

The only types of trainers were - girls and boys, and Dunlop Whites - and the only time you wore them at school was for P.E.

You knew everyone in your street - and so did your parents. It wasn't odd to have two or three "best" friends.

You didn't sleep a wink on Christmas Eve.

When nobody owned a pure-bred dog.

When 25p was decent pocket money

When you'd reach into a muddy gutter for a penny.

When nearly everyone's mum was at home when the kids got there.

When it was considered a great privilege to be taken out to dinner at a real restaurant with your parents.

When any parent could discipline any kid, or feed them or use them to carry groceries and nobody, not even the kid, thought anything bad of it.

When being sent to the head's office was nothing compared to the fate that awaited a misbehaving student at home... Basically, we were in fear for our lives but it wasn't because of drive-by shootings, drugs, gangs etc. Parents and grandparents were a much bigger threat! - And some of us are still afraid of them!!

Remember when....

Decisions were made by going "Eeny, Meeny, Minny Moe"

"Race issue" meant arguing about who ran the fastest.

Money issues were handled by whoever was the banker in "Monopoly".

The worst thing you could catch from the opposite sex was germs. And the worst thing in your day was having to sit next to one.

It was unbelievable that 'British Bulldog 123' wasn't An Olympic event.

Having a weapon in school meant being caught with a catapult.

Nobody was prettier than Mum.

Scrapes and bruises were kissed and made better.

Taking drugs meant orange-flavoured chewable aspirin!

Ice cream was considered a basic food group

Older siblings were the worst tormentors, but also the fiercest protectors

If you can remember most or all of these, then you have LIVED.

Nice one, Kirky. I can just about tick all those boxes!

What about garden fires on a Sunday evening. Coming home just as it was getting dark always smelling of smoke? Hands smelling of grass, leaves, bark and mud.

I'm currently reading a book I just know you'd enjoy. It's called Where Did It All Go Right by Andrew Collins and is nothing more than an account of his childhood in Peterborough with chapters devoted to the dairies he kept from 1972.

If it's Action Man, Multi-Coloured Swap Shop and Operation you're after, along with the power cuts and Pineapple Chunks, then you'll love it.

Archived