Memories of the Past

hazel

Originally posted by radiomick

Hi Poppins,

I went to St Pats, the cinema was called the Capitol then,later called the Esaldo, Us boys got a penknife each and the girls got a pair of scissors. I was about 7yr old then.

i remember i got a pen knife for the 1936 coranation

and a small thin tin box wlth chocolate king and queens head on the top

Who remembers going to the pavillion in Norfolk Park and getting those chocolate covered ice cream lollies or you could get Vimto diluted with hot water in the winter?

Playing football and not have to keep a look out for pervy old men.

Going home, worried s**tless because you've ruined your shoes or trousers and your mother was going to give you hell.

Clubbing together to buy 10 Park Drive.

Buying a packet of condoms (3s 9d for 3, Durex lubricated, first ones I bought) and still having all 3 left 2 months later.

Oh Happy Days.

:smile: :smile:

harping back to one of the earlier posts, the donkey stone was named so because the trade mark of the major firm that made them was a donkey. I dont know how I learned this - it might have been here on the forum. I'm just waiting to be able to use this info in a quiz.

Guest poppins

Didin't they use to sell cigs in fives ? I'm sure i use to be able to buy 5 park drive or woodbines, could be wrong though, maybe they came in 10 packs only.

There used to be a mechanical vending machine outside the Post Office on Gleadless Rd near the Heeley Green Cinema that sold Woodbines in 2's I think. You'd put your money in and pull open the drawer. When you closed it the next pack dropped into position. Used to be a skinny little packet, obviously.

Guest poppins

We use to be able to nip one out of our Dads pack until he started rolling his own, I can just imagine how strong they must have been.

Originally posted by sultana

harping back to one of the earlier posts, the donkey stone was named so because the trade mark of the major firm that made them was a donkey. I dont know how I learned this - it might have been here on the forum. I'm just waiting to be able to use this info in a quiz.

Hey Sultana,

I mentioned the Donkey stone but have no idea where the name came from, you could be rite there someone may confirm this for you to use on trivia. The more you put on the whiter the step came up.I used to have to do the (lavy step) with a little ladling can, must have been only five years old. Is that called child labour these days. having a laugh that. Ha Ha.

Regards Vera.

Originally posted by poppins

Didin't they use to sell cigs in fives ? I'm sure i use to be able to buy 5 park drive or woodbines, could be wrong though, maybe they came in 10 packs only.

Hey poppins

They sure sold the woodbines in fives. the little packet was open at the top so you could smell the tobaco. I used to fetch them for my Dad at the corner shop. I sniffed at them all the way home then got a good hiding for the bacca was all hanging out the top.When I was in the "Brownies" we put our money together and bought a packet, thought we could smoke and we were all as sick as dogs. Can't stand the smell of smoking now

Regards Vera

Can remember when you couldn't buy cigarettes of the english variety unless you was well in with the corner shop owner,

the only fags you could get was Turkish cigs

, one brand was called Pasha the other slips my mind, l've no doubt someone will remember the other one. My father used to send me all around the district looking for them and believe me if you ever smoked one wich l did,you would never want to smoke again, they tasted like camel dung. however not to be detered l started smoking cinnamon sticks purchased from the chemist, hell of a thing to keep alight though

My father also used to send me to the corner shop for ONE razor blade.

Kiwi

Archived