Memories of the Past

hazel

Originally posted by KIWI

Can remember when you couldn't buy cigarettes of the english variety unless you was well in with the corner shop owner,

the only fags you could get was Turkish cigs

, one brand was called Pasha the other slips my mind, l've no doubt someone will remember the other one. My father used to send me all around the district looking for them and believe me if you ever smoked one wich l did,you would never want to smoke again, they tasted like camel dung. however not to be detered l started smoking cinnamon sticks purchased from the chemist, hell of a thing to keep alight though

My father also used to send me to the corner shop for ONE razor blade.

Kiwi

HI KIWI

Just having a laugh at those Pashas geez they were rotten. The others may have been those Camel cigs but not sure on that.

We used to be able to get a cinnaon stick to take to school when Mum couldn't get us any (cocoa and sugar) this we use to have in a lttle bit of paper to dip our fingers in. had all the other kids dipping in too. What a laugh!!!!!

Regards Vera.

Originally posted by vhopkinson

HI KIWI

Just having a laugh at those Pashas geez they were rotten. The others may have been those Camel cigs but not sure on that.

We used to be able to get a cinnaon stick to take to school when Mum couldn't get us any (cocoa and sugar) this we use to have in a lttle bit of paper to dip our fingers in. had all the other kids dipping in too. What a laugh!!!!!

Regards Vera.

i was just wondering what play ground "crazes" you had then,we had loads in the 70's but the two that stick out were marbles and football cards,alo vaguely remember something that resembles a hoover pipe and everyone used to swing'em round because of the noise they made (sad or what and yes i had one) oh yeah not forgetting the clackers but i think they were banned coz some kids broke thier wrists:hihi:

Kirky, with reference to playground crazes, I can't think of too many. For some reason around 1981 there seemed to be a lot of girls (mainly) playing tennis, albeit with their bare hands and a tennis ball, over a drawn square approximately 4' X 4' square.

Ofcause, the most popular craze amongst the lads was the swapping of Figurine-Panini footie stickers. "I'll swap one of my Kenny Dalglishes for your Arthur Albiston". And that's about it; pathetic really isn't it?

But one great craze took place in the boys' bogs at Nethergreen Middle School (it's okay, nothing too rude. Read on).

Above the urinal was a window with a wide ledge. It was quite high up. Silly bit of planning really. A Blue Peter badge went for the Big Guy who could aim his tid and reach the window ledge.

(Mind if I omit my own personal achievements (or lack of) on this subject?)

We used to play 5 stones, marbles, whip and top, tiggy and something called delivio, hopscotch. handstands up against the wall, Nip into church which was in the playground and see an occasional coffin lying in state surrounded by candles. The boys used to nip into the crypts under the church but I never did.

And at home see-saw on the curved pieces of anderson shelter, skipping with a long rope across the rd and 4/5 skipping at the same time, The only traffic up Arbourthorne Rd then was the 105 bus. .

hazel

Does anyone remember playing that game with a tennis ball in a stocking/ pait of tights.

You'd swing the ball, knotted in the tights/ stocking, left/ right, and up and down in a cross shape, as you stood against a wall...

PT

Guest poppins
Originally posted by Plain Talker

Does anyone remember playing that game with a tennis ball in a stocking/ pait of tights.

You'd swing the ball, knotted in the tights/ stocking, left/ right, and up and down in a cross shape, as you stood against a wall...

PT

Yes. i remember doing that, the tennins ball were white then, also doing a handstand up against the wall and see how long you could stay up while the blood rushed to your head, if you stayed up too long someone would pull you down.

i remember doing handstands in the playground. do you remember doing the handstand "stunt" where you did a handstand, then someone else did a handstand in front of you, and another person did a handstand onto them, and so on, to see how many peole you could get piled up against each other in the huddle?

and what about singing "the big ship sails on the alley-alley oe"

and gettigng ourselves all twisted around ourselves, like when you join hands to sing "auld lang syne?"

PT

Guest poppins

i remember doing the alley alley oe like it was yesterday, what we did for entertainment after we finished swapping comic books the every kid on the street, we never threw on away, always foundsomeone to swap one with, all got our moneys worth out of those.

Here are one or two games we used to play.

we would get a couple of pieces of slate( there was plenty

around during the blitz,)and play nick-nacks,they play it with spoons these days. Then we would purchase two piece of bamboo from the hardware shop, a penny for a thick one to make a bow and a halfpenny one for a arrow these turned us instantly in to Robin Hood, then when we tired of that we would take the string off the bow put on a piece of cotton and a bent pin grab a jam-jar and we were off fishing for stickle-backs we also used to tie string to the four corners of a hanky

put a wieght on the ends and we had parachutes all good fun until l made a bigger chute after cutting a big chunk out of my mothers bed sheet, ouch.

We also had another ouch when we just about destroyed a neibours trellis fence getting slats to make swords after watching Zorro films.

We also had fun belting a tire up and down the street, then there was conkers,marbles, tops, cigarette cards and used to spend time watching the girls do handstands with their frocks tucked into their knickers

I think the saying little things amuse little minds originated with us

Kiwi

• 1 month later...

My Mom was born in 1911 and she used to tell me about when she was young and her father was a nghtwatchman for the new estates being built

He was married in 1890's so I am going back a long way. He and her mother came from Birmingham and she said they were so poor they walked from there to Sheffield pushing a handcart with a blanket chest on it carrying their worldly goods.

When he was a nightwatchman she said it was her job, being the youngest of 8 to take him a meal her Mother had cooked and put in a pudding basin and tied in a hankerchief.

She lived in Solly St and she caught the tram as far as it would go which was to the crematorium on City Rd and walked the rest of the way. So I'm thinking he was nightwatchman for the Manor estate being built.

She said her Dad loved plants and birds and when a bird was injured he would bend saplings over and stick the other ends in the ground to make a cage for it So I'm presuming the manor Estate was part woods at the time.

She told me to pass the time he used to cut out silhouettes of trees and give them a siver paper backing and I can just remember these being popular.

hazel

Archived