Memories of the Past

hazel

Originally posted by vhopkinson

Hi there Prioryx

Ask your wife if she knew me Vera Pope, I worked in the GPO from 1952-1958 I have a good memory for names I may remember her, I haven,t yet met anyone on here who knows me since I live in Australia now

Regards... Vera.

Hi Vera, my mum (Brenda Gordon) used to work at the GPO as a telephonist 1952 to 1958 and she sends her regards.

Originally posted by redwine

Hi Vera, my mum (Brenda Gordon) used to work at the GPO as a telephonist 1952 to 1958 and she sends her regards.

Come on then Redwine, get your Mother to spill the goss on Vera, we wont let on who said it about her ;)

Vera, I hope your giving those Aussies hell over the cricket result today :clap: :clap: :clap:

Originally posted by redwine

Hi There Redwine.

Thanks for reply, not so good on names as I thought I would have known her for sure even though there was a lot of us there. Give her my Best Wishes anyway We had some good times there even though the supervisors were very strick specially if you were on the cheeky side and had too many private calls.. Oh not me though(cough cough) Hey tell that Owdlad nothing at all. thanks Redwine.

Originally posted by owdlad

Come on then Redwine, get your Mother to spill the goss on Vera, we wont let on who said it about her ;)

Vera, I hope your giving those Aussies hell over the cricket result today :clap: :clap: :clap:

Good Day there Owdlad.

No goss on me the sunshines out of my (you know what) lol.

Cricket eh! Heard they were taking up marbles instead. Can't be good at everything. Hm! what are they good at Surfing and swimming.

Nice to hear from you Owdlad.

Regards Vera (the Hell0" Girl.

Have read up to June 2005 tonight as I hadn't been on to the "Memories of the past" before.

KIWI mentioned cigarettes named -Pasha- I think that the other one was "Passing Cloud" one of them was oval and slightly perfumed but I cannot remember which one.

CHUFFINAL- you mentioned the post ofice on Gleadless Rd. I used to work there about 1946/7 the post mistress was Mrs. Dalton.

I have enjoyed reading about all the things that have brought happy and some sad memories back to me.

Intend to read the rest of your contributions tomorrow night or should I say tonight as it is 12.30am here.

Thanks for the memories,

Cynthia, Ontario, Canada.

Originally posted by prioryx

Hello Vera

Did you know any of the messengers or engineers when you were at the GPO

Hi Prioryx

I knew a couple of the engineers but can't think of names, sad to say ,one of them was courting a friend of mine, Didn't know any of the messingers tho Prioryx wish I could place someone from there, anyway thanks a lot Prioryx

Regards vera.

Originally posted by vhopkinson

Hi There Redwine.

Thanks for reply, not so good on names as I thought I would have known her for sure even though there was a lot of us there. Give her my Best Wishes anyway We had some good times there even though the supervisors were very strick specially if you were on the cheeky side and had too many private calls.. Oh not me though(cough cough) Hey tell that Owdlad nothing at all. thanks Redwine.

Hi Vera, my mum agrees there is no goss on you or her and yes she agrees that the supervisors were very strict. She claims she was very quiet in those days (?) which is probably why you don't remember her. I gather that there was a great deal of camaraderie at the GPO in those days. Best wishes, Redwine

Vera

If you can't remember any engineers or messengers you were not one of those operators who used to swan off to the AmericanBases at weekends? Remember how the lobby was stacked with weekend cases on Friday afternoons.

Do you remember the names of the men who sat in the lobby threading lead seals onto string for mailbags.#

Originally posted by prioryx

Vera

If you can't remember any engineers or messengers you were not one of those operators who used to swan off to the AmericanBases at weekends? Remember how the lobby was stacked with weekend cases on Friday afternoons.

Do you remember the names of the men who sat in the lobby threading lead seals onto string for mailbags.#

Hi prioryx

Sorry can't remember any names. We always used to congregate at the bottom of the stairs( which had many steps particularly when you were late for work. used to get to the top breathless. Not guilty of swanning with the Americans cos we were too busy arrangeing our dates with the RAF at Norton

Base. Where abouts were you employed prioryx.

Mite have been your byke we used to let the tyres down on.

Regards Vera

Archived