Memories of the Past

hazel

I remember the Quartermass very well, it seemed like the first time I had seen a progamme on TV that gripped me. I met friends coming out of chapel and we all went to the one house that had TV and sat on the floor and watched it.

I also remember the song the Little Red Monkey which went with the serial of the same name,which links up in my mind along with She Wears Red Feathers and a Hula Hula Skirt.

I think around that time must have been the first Top of he Pops

This all coincides in my mind with the Coronation of 1953, leaving school and my first boyfriend which all left a lasting impression of those years.

The Festival of Britain too seems mixed in with that time.

hazel

I remember the Quartermass very well, it seemed like the first time I had seen a progamme on TV that gripped me. I met friends coming out of chapel and we all went to the one house that had TV and sat on the floor and watched it.

I also remember the song the Little Red Monkey which went with the serial of the same name,which links up in my mind along with She Wears Red Feathers and a Hula Hula Skirt.

I think around that time must have been the first Top of he Pops

This all coincides in my mind with the Coronation of 1953, leaving school and my first boyfriend which all left a lasting impression of those years.

The Festival of Britain too seems mixed in with that time.

hazel

I don't think TOTP started till about 1963 Hazel. The charts started in 1952 I think which could have been about the time Guy Mitchell was doing his Red Feathers thing.

Yes radio Luxemburg, The original top twenty Sunday night. In those days it was the only station to play the hits of the day, only thing it always seemed to fade when your favourite record was on then come back when it came to the adverts Ovalteenies,Horace Batchelor,etc. Remember when the tellies were on how you would get that annoying whistle.

Six Five special with Pete Murray was the 1st pop programme, I think.

What about Cool for Cats with Kent Walton? A quarter of an hour's miming at 6.45pm I think.Or was it the music with just dancers? It may have been on around the same years as Pete, and Jo Douglas on the 6.5 Special. Who could forget Don Lang and his Frantic Five? You had? Ah well.He did have a one eyed, one horned flying purple people eater though.

Gone through this entire thread and haven’t seen any mention of the one-time Sheffield Corporation City Engineers department’s — SCCE on the sides of their lorries — hallowed night-watchmen, the men who before the second world war used to sit all night in a sort of sentry box, keeping a beady eye on road works where tools and repair materials were left overnight. They had coke-filled braziers to keep them warm throughout the night, and in winter they were a welcome haven for any late-nighter who cared to warm his hands, have a chat and afterwards wend his way home.

• 10 months later...

Archived