Memories of the Past

hazel

Speaking of mangles and old stuff, these are on display along with yorkshire ranges at the " Castle museum" at york.

It is well worth a visit, there are loads of individual rooms all set out in different periods of history including an old sweet shop.

it is fairly in- expensive to enter as well.

Originally posted by saxon76tr

What interesting reading off you gals.

I am into local history, have a quick scan at what i am trying to achieve. http://www.members.aol.com/syp99/index.html

............................................................................................

Just saying thank you for such interesting reading. It was good to read all about the village. I think you had some good reliable memorabillia from the family too which leads to a good down to earth story

Regards Vera

Originally posted by saxon76tr

Speaking of mangles and old stuff, these are on display along with yorkshire ranges at the " Castle museum" at york.

It is well worth a visit, there are loads of individual rooms all set out in different periods of history including an old sweet shop.

it is fairly in- expensive to enter as well.

There's a couple of museums up here in the North East of England with simular period rooms and little old villages with shops selling stuff from the Victorian times...also an old tramway and railway and loads of other stuff..One is at Preston Park Nr Stockton on Tees, and the other is at Beamish Park in Co Durham..Both well worth a visit.

Hi everyone.

Just got back from the Yorkshire Dales and have read yuor delicious evocative posts.

The people I visited have an aga but it's no more efficient than mine and your moms Yorkshire Range ( Apart from the central heating part of it thats a bonus)

Maxwell, the luckybag man lived about 4 houses from us and I suppose my mom used to buy them. Think they were 1 old penny. He used to sell them at the door and he was also the Knocker upper. Not sure whether u were joking tho, easily fooled me.!

Seems as if ww11 has broke out again on some of the other threads. Seems such a shame.

hazel

we had a cast iron fire place in moms room and when it was really cold dad would light it and we would all sleep in there..remember them bieng taken out when the clean air act came in force....whish i had a load of them now they are very costly,last time i saw a yorkshire range was in the .RIVELIN HOTEL a few years back,remember having the oven plate wrapped up in a sheet to warm the bed on a cold winter night..

Originally posted by hazel

I can still feel the warmth and comfort of the oven plate at night and the cold hardness of the same oven plate in the morning.

hazel

yes thats true once your feet touched the cold plate you practically jumped out of bed..never late for school in those days.ps..also used a fire brick as a water bottle.remember that ?

Yes Depoix. Remember the house brick so well. I think some were full house bricks and some were half thats like they were split in two. I remember the half didn,t keep hot as long..

I am suprised noone has mentioned the old fly catcher. They used to hang them over the dining table to catch flies Well they did at our place anyone else remeber this. Pooh!! no flies sprays in those days

Vera

Archived